City of Delusion

"W-What do you mean?" I hate that I stuttered when I responded to her.

She looks at me with a knowing smirk, the frown that graced her face no longer there. I hate that she intimidates me, she makes me feel so inadequate with just one look, one raised eyebrow. I wish that they liked me or at the very least tolerated me because Nash and I are married. He's going to have to tell them when the time is right, I know they're going to hate me. They're going to blame me for Nash's divorce. They're very conservative and I know they will never accept me as Nash's spouse.

"You are in love with my son. I imagine you have not told him or else he would have gotten rid of you." She states flatly and I swallow because I wasn't expecting this at all. I can't help the way I react when I'm watching Nash. He's my everything. She's more perceptive than I could have ever imagined but I suppose it comes from being high class. They know how to say the most egregious, offensive things in a way that makes it hard for you to react harshly. That kind of attitude is all over Capitol Hill, Nash up is very good at masking his emotions but clearly I need to work on mine.

I don't even know what to say to her because I'm nervous now, my hand is trembling slightly and I hope she doesn't notice how much she's affected me.

She doesn't move her critical gaze from me as she waits for my response.

"I don't understand what you're talking about," I say moments later when I feel more composed.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about, Charles. You are a homosexual and you are in love with my son who is your boss. You have to know that there's no chance with my son, don't you?" She asks and I want to smack that smirk off of her face but I know that would be completely wrong. I'm so tempted to show her my wedding ring and to point out the matching ring Nash has hanging from his neck. It's tucked behind his shirt but just the knowledge that she's absolutely wrong and that man speaking at the podium is 100% mine calms me down.

I take in deep breaths because I know she's calling me Charles on purpose to make me upset but I can't allow her to make me lose my cool because then she wins.

"Nash has always had a beautiful woman by his side, did you meet his ex-wife Lea? Those are the kind of women he gravitates to. I'd feel sorry for you but really you fell for my son knowing the reality of the situation. You will always only be his assistant if that, I will be speaking to my son and advising him that he should pay close attention to your behaviors. He can't have a homosexual working closely with him, if that gets out it will harm his reelection campaign. He will lose votes because of you, he would never want to jeopardize his position, especially not for someone like you." She finishes with a superior smile in her face.

She's a truly despicable woman, she's loving what she's trying to do to me. She likes bringing me down, breaking down my self-esteem because in her eyes I'm just a lowly assistant. It just seems like she's been waiting for the perfect opportunity to let loose on me. Nash was around constantly when I met them during our last trip to North Carolina. His father is off talking to some people across the room and it's just her and I at the table.

Does she even know who her son is? He's never had the attitude of superiority that she has, he's demanding and he has a short fuse but he doesn't treat any of his workers like servants.

She's pushing my buttons and I want to tell her that I'm his husband just to wipe that smirk off of her face. I take in deep breaths because when I get really angry then I start to cry, I can't let this vile woman see me cry.

How did such an evil woman raise the love of my life? I'm so glad Nash came out nothing like her.

"I'm sure you're only interested because of Nash's status and wealth." Her eyes trail down my body and the expression on her face tells me she's judging my outfit. It's a nice tux but it's clearly not designer, wearing those kinds of clothes isn't me anyway. I could never afford them and I won't ask Nash to spend money on vain things because then I won't be any better than that money-grubbing whore Lea.