Blue Monday

The next day I get to the office early as usual. Alexa is already there and I smile at her. She's not in a good mood this morning and I wonder why but I don't care enough to ask.

Nash exits his office and he pauses when he sees me there.

"Cameron, are you usually this early?" He asks me with a small smile playing on his face.

"Yes, I am. I like to be early to settle in and look over my tasks for the day," I tell him and he nods.

"From now on I want you to come to my office directly in the morning. Maybe you can pick up my coffee and we'll go over the agenda for the day," he says and a ball of excitement grows in the pit of my stomach, I've caught his attention and he's already taking tasks away from Alexa and shifting it over to me. It may just be coffee but it's a start.

"Of course, sir. I'll do exactly what you asked." I reply and he nods and then continues on his way. I turn to Alexa and she's looking at me with a unreadable expression on her face.

"What was that about?" She asks me and it's not in a friendly way, I think she's realizing that I'm the competition. Maybe she even suspects that I'm after her job. I think I'm safe to drop the friendly act with her. Nash is starting to prefer me over her and there's nothing she can do about it. The more responsibilities that Nash gives me, the more he'll see that I do everything as he would do it.

"I guess he just noticed that my work is superior to yours. I set up his conference room exactly as he likes it, I edited the presentation and made it to his specifications. He didn't have to change anything like he usually has to with yours. Your work is lazy, Alexa and he notices it." I tell her smugly and she looks taken aback by my response and my tone.

I open my work laptop and start to go through Nash's meetings for the next day, I rearranging meetings to his preference. Alexa doesn't realize what I'm doing because I'm emailing the assistants of the other Senators to make the changes. It takes me a few hours to confirm the changes but I finally manage to finish when it's close to lunch time. Nash arrives back at the office and he stops on front of me.

"Cameron, I want to do a working lunch today. Go pick up my lunch, grab something for yourself and bring it back to my office so we can get started." He tells me and I nod at him, I have to fight not to smile smugly at Alexa. I'm quite sure he's never had a working lunch with her.

I grab his lunch order and I make sure it's exactly how he wants it and then I pick up something small for myself.

When I enter the office, Alexa stops me.

"I know what you're doing and it's not going to work there's no way that Nash would ever replace me with some lowly intern. You don't have the experience that I do that's for damn sure," she tells me lowly. I raise my eyebrow at her and shrug. I brush past her and knock on the door, I enter and close the door behind me.

Nash looks up at me and he's smiling, God he has a gorgeous smile. It makes me weak in the knees.

I set his lunch order down on his desk and take a seat in front of him.

"Exactly like I like it," he comments. "Alexa is probably the assistant that's lasted the longest with me but she still manages to fuck up. I've just resigned myself to fixing her errors and eating the food. I know that even if I fire her and hire another one they'll fuck up too. But you've managed to do everything exactly how I like it."

"I guess I'm just observant, sir." I reply to him and he nods in agreement.

"I want to go through my scheduled meetings tomorrow and see if we can change some of them," he says and I open my laptop and pull up his schedule for tomorrow. He takes a bite of his sandwich as his eyes scan his computer screen.