A Walk to Remember

I'm so nervous, I'm practically shaking. Nash is driving us to his parents house for dinner and I keep checking myself making sure I don't look like an idiot. He's only i trouncing me as his assistant but I still want them to like me. I hope they don't look down on me by considering me the help. Nash has a hand on my thigh and he's rubbing it gently, his touch keeps me grounded. He turns and pulls into a massive driveway of an equally massive mansion.

"This is where you grew up?" I ask in shock, it's so different than the small townhouse I grew up in, in Chino Hills. Nash nods and I swallow at the though of entering that house. "Please don't leave me alone."

Nash squeezes my thigh and then pulls away. "You'll be fine, Cameron."

He gets out and I take a deep breath and follow him inside. The house is beautiful, the inside is immaculate and decorated quite tastefully. A fat pug comes racing down the hallway and I smile as he attacks Nash and scratches his pants, begging for attention. Nash bends down and pets the dog, scratching it's head and making cooing noises at it. A regal looking woman comes down the stairs and smiles widely when she sees Nash.

"Nash, darling I'm so happy to see you." She says in a warm tone and Nash straightens up and hugs her. She kisses both of his cheeks and then steps away. She looks at me and her eyes take in my appearance. She gives me a tight smile and I feel nervous because it doesn't seem like she likes me just from my looks.

"Mother this is my assistant, Cameron. Cameron, this is my mother, Elizabeth." Nash says and she holds out her hand which I shake slowly.

"I didn't know you were bringing company, Nash. I'll have Angelica set another seat at the table." She says and Nash shrugs at her.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you Mrs. Grier, Nash has told me so much about you," I say trying to kiss her ass a little bit. I want her to like me. She ignores me and continues to look at Nash. My heart pangs sadly at her cool treatment of me.

"I didn't realize we were having a formal dinner," he explains.

"Of course we are, our son has finally come for a visit. It's a joyous occasion, I had Angelica make all of your favorites.

"Thank you, mother." He replies and she leads us into the living room. I sit next to Nash and straighten out my shirt while Elizabeth is not looking. Nash glances at me and his expression tells me I need to relax but that's almost impossible.

"I was very upset to hear about your divorce, Nash. Lea is such a beautiful woman. Why didn't you tell me? I had to hear it from one of the ladies at the country club, it's rather embarrassing but I managed to play it off as if I knew," she tells him and Nash sighs.

"She cheated on me with an art model, mother. I refuse to remain married to someone who clearly does not care about me. Appearances aren't everything to me. I'd rather be divorced than be in an unhappy marriage," he explains and she tilts her head at him as she studies him critically.

"Hm, well you are an adult and it is your choice but your reelection might be hard." She comments and Nash sighs softly, I guess he's used to her personality.

"Well, I'm already divorced, mother so what's done is done. There's no going back," Nash replies firmly and his mother makes a small noise of discontent.

"Have you found a suitable woman to replace her?" She asks after a few minutes of awkward silence. I feel so disconnected right now, the conversation doesn't include me and it's really not my place to say anything because to them I'm just his assistant.

"No." He says and doesn't elaborate at all.

"I know a few families with eligible daughters, I can set up a date-"