「19」Alpha

19 | ALPHA

     "DAD, THIS is so unfair. They're my raptors too." Liana complains as Owen closes the door on her, leaving her behind the bars with Zach and Gray.

     "This is the first part of your punishment." Owen states as he walks over to Blue.

     "The first part?"

     "Yes. I haven't thought of the other parts, but I'm working on it. But for now you're going to stand behind those bars." he demands as Liana groans and makes her way over beside Zach and Gray.

     "Easy, Blue. Easy." Owen says calmly as he places his hands on the squirming velociraptor. "That a girl. You don't scare me."

     "Owen." Gray calls out. Owen turns around and walks towards the trio on the opposite side of the cage. "Are they safe?" Gray questions.

     "No they're not."

     "What are their names?" Zach asks.

     "Well, you got Charlie. That's Echo, here's Delta and this one is called Blue. She's the beta." Owen answers while pointing out all the velociraptors.

     "Whose the alpha?" Gray questions.

     "You're looking at him, kid."

     "Why can't I come with you?" Liana asks as her dad walks her over to Claire, Zach and Gray.

     "Liana, it's dangerous." Owen states, "You're trouble, and danger and trouble don't particularly mix." he clarifies. The girl scoffs at her father's response.

     The two stop as they arrive near the truck Zach and Gray are sitting in.

     Owen glances at the two boys sitting in the truck before turning to Liana, "Look, it's a miracle that you're safe right now. I don't want you getting hurt. Now go get in the truck my little troublemaker." he says, gently pressing a kiss to her forehead before gently shoving his daughter towards the vehicle. Liana huffs and steps in, plopping down between Zach and Gray.

     "If you need me, I'm up front. Just –  just open that window." Claire says as she motions towards a rectangular window behind them. "Okay, put your seat belts on."

     Confused, the trio look around then back up at Claire.

    "Uh, there are no seat belts." Zach states.

     "Okay so just um, hold hands." Claire replies, shutting the heavy doors.

     The three sit in silence for a moment as Gray sticks his hand out towards Liana. She glances down at his hand before looking up at him. Gray wiggles his fingers and she sighs, grasping his hand.

     Liana looks over at Zach, extending out her hand towards him. He stares at her hand as she wiggles her fingers like Gray did moments before. Zach laughs before interlocking his fingers with hers.

     "Nothing's getting in here, right?" Gray blurts out.

     "Hey, you remember that ghost at the old house? You remember the garage? I protected you, right?" Zach reminds Gray while looking over at him.

     "You made a battle axe out of a ruler and a paper plate." Gray smiles.

     "Yeah. See, nothing's going to get you when I'm around."

     "You're not always gonna be around." Gray states.

     "We're brothers. We'll always be brothers and we'll always come back to one another. No matter what." Zach reassures as Liana shuffles away from between the two. They eyeball her with confused looks.

      "What? I don't want to ruin adorably cheesy sibling moment." she informs as they stare at her blankly, "Well don't just sit there now. You gotta finish it off with a hug."

     The brothers chuckle lightly before pulling each other in for a brief hug. "Gosh this feels like a super cliché movie moment." Liana mumbles.

     Zach laughs, pulling away from Gray and opening his arms out towards Liana, "Well don't just sit there now. You gotta finish it off with a hug." he says mimicking her as she chuckles and wraps her arms around his torso.