「01」Late Again

01 | LATE AGAIN

     A LOUD THUNDEROUS roar sounds from outside, as Liana Grady groans and covers her face with a pillow. The noise rings once more before she decides to get up and lazily shuffle over to the window. Pulling back the curtains Liana peers outside, squinting as the morning sun blinds her vision.

     "Dad, what the hell?" Liana shouts, glaring at her father, Owen Grady who is revving up his motorcycle. Owen is a dinosaur behavior researcher for the park, who works specifically with the velociraptors

     "It's eleven, Liana! Get your ass outta bed." He hollers back.

     Liana confusingly reverts her gaze towards a digital clock on her small nightstand. "Dammit." She mumbles, before rushing to her closet and pulling out a random pair of shorts and a shirt. Liana races towards the bathroom, slamming the door shut loudly behind her.

     Today is the second week of work for Liana since her father hired her as his assistant. Usually she'd be out exploring the park during his work hours, but after the accident she caused last month, Owen insists she's under his watch at all times.

     Quickly brushing her teeth and slipping on her clothes, Liana then proceeds to bolt into the kitchen to grab a quick snack. In a swift motion she snags an apple from a bowl and pushes open the front door, coming face to face with her dad.

     "Five minutes, new record." He mutters, looking down at his watch as Liana sinks her teeth into the apple. "Alright, get in the car. We're already late."

     Liana obeys and skips down the porch steps before breaking into a jog towards the jeep the park lent to the Grady's. "Can I drive?" She questions.

     "No."

     "Why not?" She asks, "You never let me drive."

     "I prefer not to end up bashed into a tree." He retorts, hopping into the driver's seat. Liana huffs and cross her arms while pouting her lips and looking at her dad.

     "That's not going to work. Don't give me that look, Liana."

     "What look?" She questions innocently.

     "Liana, you're not driving the jeep. That look is not working."

     "Thank you, daddy." Liana says, turning to her father with a wide smile.

     "Eyes on the road!" Owen mumbles, "Watch out for the squirrel!"

     Liana's eyes widen as she swivels the vehicle around the small creature, an awkward laugh escaping her lips as she drives the jeep back onto the gravel road. "Don't worry, Dadio. I got this."

     "You're never passing the drivers test." Owen whispers, gripping his seatbelt.

     "I heard that," Liana responds, just as the wheels run over a large bump, causing the two to both jolt upwards. Up ahead, past the immense amount of trees, she recognizes the distinct shape of the velociraptor paddock and decreases the speed of the jeep, as the vehicle nears the containment facility.

     "You're going to hit the side of the wall." Owen mentions.

     "No I'm not. I'm just going to slow down right here and – oops." Liana murmurs as the head of the vehicle collides with the tall cement walls of the paddock. She stares at the damaged front of the vehicle for moment before turning to face her angered father, "At least it wasn't ours."