「11」Jerk Move

11 | JERK MOVE

"PAPER BEATS rock! Seventh time in a row, Zach. You suck at this." Liana says while her hand covers Zach's fist.

"I hate this game." he groans.

"Alright, thumb war then." the girl says. Zach shifts in his seat before locking his fingers with Liana. "One, two, three–"

"If mom and dad get divorced, will one of us be with mom while the other is with dad?" Gray interrupts.

The smile from Zach's face fades, and he cocks his head towards his little brother. "What? Why would you say that?"

He turns his head back towards Liana's direction, and she unlocks their fingers before placing her hands in her lap.

"Cause they are." Gray responds.

"No, they're not getting divorced." Zach states, as a tear rolls down Gray's cheek. "Look, you haven't been around that long. They've always been that way."

"They're getting mail from different lawyers." Gray mutters.

Zach shakes his head, "That doesn't mean anything."

"I googled. They're divorce lawyers." Gray replies as more tears stream down his face. Zach falls quiet for moment, as Liana pretends to be fascinated by the trees passing by, in hopes that this awkward conversation is done for now.

"Okay whatever! It doesn't matter. I'm going to be gone in two years anyways. I mean, all my friends' parents are divorced." Zach mentions as Gray cries more. "Hey! Knock it off!"

Really tempted to yell at Zach for being a jerk to his crying brother, Liana then props her elbow up on the armrest and places her chin in her hand - trying really hard to keep her mouth shut.

"Look, you're going to get two of everything, alright? Two birthdays, two thanksgivings, two –"

"I don't want two of everything." Gray says, cutting him off.

"Yeah, well it's not up to you. There's a point where you have to grow up."

Gray glances at Zach before reverting his attention towards the window.

Liana leans over to Zach, "That was a jerk move," she whispers as he sighs and focuses his eyes on the window at the front of the train. Liana looks over to make sure if Gray is okay, but her eyes soon fall upon two security trucks speeding on the road below.