Episode 57

"Coming!" I called out as I walked toward the door. Since it was Sunday, I had decided to stay at home with Adie and our little furry kitty, Coco. As I swiftly opened the door, I saw Julia greeting me with a wide smile.

"Good morning, Professor," she said as soon as she spotted me in the doorway.

"Good morning, Julia," I replied. Being her personal coach for the art competition, we had been spending our days practicing new painting techniques. So, she had to come to my apartment even on this holiday.

"Come on in, Julia," I added, gesturing for her to step inside.

"Thank you," she replied and quickly stepped into my apartment. As Julia came in, Adie ran out of her room eagerly and joyfully.

"Julia!" she called out, running towards her.

"Oh my God, Adie!" Julia exclaimed as she hugged her, making me giggle while watching them. They had really gotten along well in a short time, and Adie was thrilled to have a new friend in Julia.

"Have you finished your breakfast, Julia?" I asked with a smile as I walked into the kitchen.

"Yeah, I already finished," she replied.

"Do you want some pancakes?" I asked her again while making breakfast.

"Jennie's pancakes are the best, Julia. You should try them," Adie added, still hugging Julia.

"Tell her, Adie," I said with a chuckle.

"Wow, I think I should have a taste then," Julia replied quickly. While she chatted with Adie, I made extra pancakes for her. As I placed the plates on the kitchen counter, Julia joined me.

"How can I help?" she asked.

"It's okay, they're almost done," I replied, placing the pancakes onto plates. "But if you don't mind, could you make two cups of milk?"

"Sure," she said, opening the cabinet to grab some glasses. "Would you like some milk too, Professor?" she asked before opening the fridge.

"No thanks. I'll just have my morning caffeine," I replied. Then, I swiftly grabbed the plates from the counter and set them on the table. "Breakfast is ready," I called out. Julia and Adie replied in sync, making me chuckle warmly. Even though Julia and I had only spent a few days together, she felt like a younger sister to me.

"Here's your milk, Adie," Julia said, gently placing the glass on the table before taking a seat beside her.

"Why don't you have milk?" I asked her while standing and holding my mug of coffee.

"I don't like milk that much, and I already had breakfast. I just want to taste your pancakes," she replied with a smile, which I acknowledged with a nod. As they started eating, I also took a seat in front of them and began to enjoy my pancakes. Before I could take another bite, Julia spoke up.

"Can I ask you something, Professor?" she asked.

"Sure, go ahead," I replied while chewing my pancake.

"Do you know Hal's painting techniques?" she asked, curiosity evident in her voice. As she mentioned this, I froze, holding my mug in mid-air. "I heard that Hal's painting techniques are really rare. So, if you know about them, should I use them in the competition?" she continued. She was referring to Hal's technique, a combination of sketching and dark shadowing. In other words, it was my technique.

Lost in my thoughts, I stared into the void, holding my mug. Julia's voice pulled me back to reality.

"Professor Alison!" she called out, her voice full of concern. "Are you okay, Professor?" she asked, searching my face for any signs of distress.