Episode 26

"Miss Alison!" called the Chancellor's assistant as she walked towards me while I was enjoying my lunch break on a bench. Startled by the voice echoing down the corridor, I choked on my sandwich as I was in the midst of a bite.

"Yes?" I quickly stood up from the bench and turned towards the assistant.

"The Chancellor is calling for you, Miss Alison," she said with a steady tone. I swiftly nodded in acknowledgment.

"I'll be there in a minute," I added swiftly, then hurriedly made my way to the Chancellor's room after finishing the last bite of my sandwich. As the youngest professor at Oxford, specializing in Art, I was often summoned by the Chancellor at unexpected times. He had a particular fondness for the arts, paintings, and vintage items, subjects I was well-versed in.

The last bite of my sandwich was rather large, requiring a prolonged chewing time, but I managed to swallow it just before reaching the Chancellor's door. I cleared my throat and gently knocked on the grand wooden door. After a few moments, I heard the elderly gentleman's response, his heavy British accent unmistakable.

"Come in, please," he said. I quickly adjusted my posture before grasping the handle and swinging open the door to step into the room. As I entered, he glanced up from his writing desk and greeted me.

"Oh, Miss Alison... please, have a seat," he added, gesturing towards a chair. I gave him a small nod and swiftly took a seat.

"Did I interrupt your lunch break?" he asked with a smile.

"Not at all, Sir," I swiftly replied, returning the smile. He nodded in acknowledgment and rose from his seat.

"I want to show you something," he said, walking towards the bookshelf nearby and retrieving a large leather bag, clearly capable of holding a painting.

"I received this from a friend," he added, gesturing for me to come closer and take a look at the painting he wanted to show me. I promptly stood up from my seat and positioned myself beside him. As I paused, standing next to him, I beheld a watercolor painting that exuded a vintage vibe, though it was not particularly old. The drawing and painting techniques appeared modern, yet the overall aesthetic was reminiscent of a bygone era.

"It is..." I began, but before I could finish my sentence, the Chancellor interrupted and offered his own commentary on the painting.

"Yes, it's another painting by Hal," he said, pulling the painting out of the bag and unveiling it by removing the white cloth. It was one of my favorite creations.

The Painting :

"How fabulous, isn't it?" the Chancellor exclaimed with a grin

"How fabulous, isn't it?" the Chancellor exclaimed with a grin. His smile was small but radiated happiness, as he was a huge fan of my paintings and deeply passionate about art, which always filled me with pride.

"Yes, it's truly beautiful," I added with a nod of agreement.

"Can you tell me a little bit about it?" he asked, turning towards me.