Episode 22

"Jennie!" I heard a small voice emanating from the hallway, gradually drawing closer to my room as I lay still in bed, still half-asleep. "Jennie, wake up!" Adie hopped onto my bed and called out my name.

"Huh!" I muttered groggily without opening my eyes.

"It's already 7, Jennie," she said with a cute giggle, softly settling onto my belly and peering at my face. Normally an early riser, today I found myself completely exhausted from yesterday's ceremony, still stuck in bed until 7. I slowly opened my eyes to meet the gaze of the little girl, her bright eyes fixed on mine as she held my chin in her hands.

Her smile widened as soon as our eyes met. I couldn't help but chuckle softly, reaching out to gently tousle her hair.

"Hello, sunshine," I murmured softly, a small smile playing on my lips.

"Morning, Pretty Jennie," she giggled, leaning in to plant a quick kiss on my forehead. Before she could pull away, I swiftly pulled her into my embrace, rolling over and pulling the covers around us both.

"Let me sleep for a few more minutes, little girl," I added, hugging her tightly into my embrace, which elicited a burst of giggles from her.

"But, Jennie, I'm hungry," she said with a slight whine, looking up at me from within my embrace.

"Oh, really?" I asked softly, meeting her gaze. She nodded in agreement, prompting me to swiftly sit up in bed.

"What do you want for breakfast?" I inquired as I got up, stretching my arms overhead. She took a moment to ponder, tilting her head thoughtfully.

"I want pancakes with strawberries," she answered with a giggle.

"Right away, Miss," I said with a small grin before heading straight to the kitchen. As I prepared the pancake batter, I quickly checked my to-do list for the day and glanced at some emails. It dawned on me that since it was Sunday, I needed to replenish my painting supplies.

"Adie!" I called out softly from the kitchen. Soon, I heard the pitter-patter of small footsteps rushing toward me until I was met by the smiling face of the 5-year-old girl.

"Yeah?" she said.

"Well, today is refill day for our supplies. So, as always, we have to visit several stores. Would you like to join me, or would you prefer to spend the day with Lexa and Dan?" I asked her carefully. She furrowed her little eyebrows thoughtfully before responding.

"Can I join you?" she pleaded with her eyes sparkling with excitement.

"Why not, sweetie," I replied with a wink and a grin, turning my attention back to the pancake batter on the stove. "We'll leave after breakfast," I announced as I placed the pan on the stove to cook.

"I'm going to take a shower then," she swiftly responded, darting back towards the hallway to prepare for her quick shower. I chuckled softly as I continued making pancakes for our breakfast. Adie and I shared so many interests and traits. We both enjoyed drawing and painting, loved outdoor activities, and had a shared passion for pancakes and dumplings. That's why Lexa had given her the nickname "mini Jennifer." Even though she wasn't biologically mine, she felt like my mini-me.

As I reached for the bottle of honey, a sharp pain shot through my back. I realized I must have strained it yesterday, and it had been bothering me all night. Taking a deep breath to ease the discomfort, I grabbed the honey bottle. It took a few minutes to finish preparing the pancakes. I made plain pancakes with oats and honey for myself and added honey and fruits for Adie's topping. Placing two plates on the table, I headed back to my room.