Episode 23

"Hello Jennifer " she greeted with her smirk as she took her steps towards me. 

"Lexa, could you please check on Adie for a while?" I murmured, turning slightly to address Lexa, who stood behind me. With a swift motion, she gently took Adie's hand from mine.

"Come here, Adie," she said in a hushed tone, guiding Adie towards her.

"Let's step outside for a moment," I stated calmly, walking past the woman, who happened to be my Mother. I made my way towards the door, pausing only when she called my name from behind, prompting me to halt and engage in conversation.

"Why don't we discuss things here... Alison?" she added, her tone matching my own coldness.

"What is it that you want?" I inquired without facing her directly.

"Is this how you greet your own mother?" she remarked, her tone carrying a hint of reproach.

"Mother?" I couldn't help but let out a small chuckle as I turned to face her. "Who exactly is 'Mother'? You?" I questioned, meeting her gaze directly. Her deep brown eyes, strikingly similar to mine, seemed to pierce through to my very soul. Every time I looked at her, it felt like confronting my own reflection of the darker aspects of myself.

I suppose that's why they say 'like mother, like daughter'... But I am not my mother.

Before she could begin to speak, I preempted her by calling out to Dan, who stood behind the counter watching us.

"Dan, could you take Adie to the ice cream shop for a while?" I fabricated an excuse, maintaining eye contact with her. He slowly gives me a nod in agreement .

"Of course, Jen," Dan replied slowly, playing along with my ruse. He swiftly left the counter, grabbing his coat, and gently took Adie's hand from Lexa before joining us. "Come on, Adie, let's go get some ice cream," he said softly, guiding her alongside him. Even without looking at her, I could sense Adie's gaze fixed on me as she followed Dan.

"Don't you dare cast your eyes on my child," I warned the woman, my Mother, as she glanced towards Adie. Fortunately, the café was empty in the middle of the afternoon.

"Is that your child?" she inquired again as they both exited the café, the bell signaling their departure.

"Is that what you want to know?" I retorted.

"Jennifer Alison, I am still your mother, so behave yourself!" she shouted, her voice rising slightly in agitation.

"Why shouldn't I?" I replied, unmoved, which only seemed to stoke her anger. "Tell me, why have you shown up here after all this time? Do you need money or something?" I paused, meeting her gaze squarely. "But it seems you don't need money, at least not since you married into wealth," I added before she could interject.

"Now, tell me why you're here," I demanded. Instead of answering, she laughed at me.

"You really resemble me now, Jennifer," she remarked. "Over the years, you've changed just like me, girl," she added with that same devilish smile she always wore when she laid her hands on me. Just as she was about to continue, the doorbell rang, signaling someone's entrance into the café, prompting her to compose herself. She always cared about appearances and her surroundings, adept at concealing her true nature behind masks and fake smiles. It seemed someone had entered the café, prompting her swift change in demeanor. Glancing quickly at Lexa, I noticed she, too, was looking toward the entrance behind me as I faced away from the door. That meant someone new had entered the café.

"Why don't we just talk outside, Jennifer?" she swiftly suggested, prompting a chuckle from me.

"Why? You're the one who wanted to talk here and now... Do you suddenly prefer outside?" I countered, looking directly at her.