Episode 33

I take a deep breath, wiping the tears from my cheek before stepping out of my room. Attempting to compose myself, I clear my throat and make my way towards Adie's room, as dinner time draws near. Upon exiting, I find Adie already in the living room with her beloved furry companion, Coco. Seeing her bright smile offers a small respite from my pain. Catching sight of me, she shifts her attention and calls out my name amidst her giggles.

"Jennie!" she chirps with gentle laughter.

"Hello there. Have you finished your homework?" I inquire as I approach her.

"Yes, all done," she replies promptly, wrapping her arms around my waist in a warm embrace that soothes my heart. She gazes up at me, her smile radiant.

"Thank you, Jennie. You're the best," she declares.

"Why?" I gently inquire, resting my hand on her head.

"Because you always give me everything I need and... being my beautiful protector," she adds softly, a small smile of warmth spreading across my face in response.

"You're welcome, Adie," I say, patting her head affectionately and giving her a wink. "So, for this lovely evening, how about pizza for dinner?" I suggest with a smirk, eliciting a delighted jump from her.

"Yay, pizza!" she exclaims, hopping excitedly and shouting, which elicits giggles from me at her adorable enthusiasm.

"Alright then, go grab your coat. Let's head to the pizza shop," I say with a chuckle, and she swiftly scampers off to her room to fetch her coat. I too retrieve my coat from my room. Ensuring Coco to snug in his basket before we both vanish from our apartment. Opting for a leisurely walk rather than driving, we stroll hand in hand along the bustling downtown road, taking in the sights and sounds. After a few minutes, we reach the pizza shop. I hold the door open for Adie, and together we step inside.

Upon entering, the tantalizing aroma of pizza greets our senses, intensifying our hunger. Adie eagerly tugs at my hand and rushes towards the counter. However, it's a bit too high for her to reach, so I lift her into my arms to place our order.

"What can I get for you, little one?" the waitress asks with a warm smile upon seeing Adie in my arms. Adie carefully studies the menu before deciding on her order.

"Right away, little miss," the waitress responds with a smile, entering the order into the computer. She then provides us with the order number before we make our way to a table tucked away in a cozy corner near the window.

"You made a great choice, Adie," I remark, affectionately tousling her hair, eliciting giggles from her. We pass the time waiting for our order by engaging in light conversation and observing the bustling London streets outside the window.

After a few minutes, a waiter approaches our table with our extra cheesy pizza and two drinks. He sets them down with a nod, to which I respond in kind, and then disappears back into the kitchen. We eagerly dig into our dinner, exchanging small talk and laughter until our stomachs are comfortably full.

As we prepare to leave the shop, Adie gives a small wave to the waitress, who returns the gesture with an extra flying kiss. We exit the shop, content and satisfied after a delightful evening of pizza and companionship.

"We'll need to grab some cat food for Coco," I mention as we exit the shop and start walking. She also gives me a nod in agreement.

 "Come on, let's get some stuff for Coco," I say, gently tugging Adie's hand as we head towards the nearest grocery store. Inside, I search for kitten food and supplies, with Adie eagerly joining me in browsing the aisles.

Just as I'm about to reach for a can of cat food, my phone buzzes in my pocket. I quickly retrieve it and see a message from the terms management team at Oxford. They're responsible for organizing our weekly lecture titles, ensuring everything is prepared well in advance. This allows us to focus on teaching without distractions.