Chapter 55

"But there's someone else who needs it more than I do, and I'd like to ask if it's okay if I give it to him."

"Someone who needs it more? Yeah, that's fine, but what about you? Do you want two?"

Since reaching level 1,000, she was so full of energy that shencould have given him a million.

But Rostin shook his head, not wanting to drain her strength unnecessarily.

"No, I don't have enough hands, so I'll take my share another time."

She insisted that she would come back.

"Mmm... okay, I'll do that. I'll do that. Come back and get it next time."

Reina didn't bother to grab the pods.

'Can't I just put it in my pocket?'

Only Mia, eavesdropping on the conversation from a few feet away, questioned.

The flame was indeed as she said, a portable stove. He tucked it carefully in his arms so he wouldn't drop it.

"Well, I'd better get going then. You must be tired, get some rest."

"You too. I know that was a lot to ask, but thank you for today. Goodbye."

Waving to Reina as he had once before, Rostyn drove his horse toward the duke's castle.

***

"Duke! You're back!"

"Welcome back, Duke!"

Rostin acknowledged the greetings from the knights and servants with a brief salute before heading directly to Luca's chambers.

It was quite late, and no light emanated from the room. Luca seemed to be asleep.

After a few perfunctory knocks, Rostin cautiously opened the door to find Luca, who was growing up far too quickly.

"Luca,"

He called softly, just in case.

Thankfully, Luca remained asleep, undisturbed by the intrusion.

'It's time to gradually change his condition.'

Luca, still covered in snow, was sleeping on a cozy cushion.

After gently stroking his head once, Rostin retrieved the flame he had kept hidden.

He placed it near Luca as he slept. Fortunately, Reina's RR-certified flame didn't harm him.

"The princess gave this to me, but I thought you might need it more."

Though Luca couldn't hear him in his sleep, Rostin explained anyway.

"So in the future, when you need warmth, don't risk going to the princess's mansion. Stay by the fire instead. ...I'm sorry this is all I can do for you, Luca."

Now that the saint had appeared, they would soon be able to defeat the true demon and break Luca's curse.

The temple and the High Priest were still suspicious, but Rostin was willing to cooperate if it meant breaking Luca's curse.

With that resolve, Rostin glanced down at the sleeping Luca one last time before leaving the room as quietly as he had entered.

"..."

Shortly after Rostin left, Luca opened his eyes.

He stared at the flame his brother had left behind for a long moment.

'How did he get this, I wonder? She seemed nice enough the few times I've met her... but he wouldn't have asked for it.'

Despite pondering it for a long time, he found no answer. There wasn't much he could do about it anyway.