Chapter 48

***

Luckily, the vaultmaster was resting in the hall on the first floor.

Reina and Rostin had gone to see to Aden, and a quick-thinking Mia had brought them refreshments.

"I see you've finally remembered my presence, Duke."

Emptying a plate of soft, fluffy cake, she rose to greet them both.

"It's nice to meet you. I'm Eileen. I heard you were in need of a safe, so I came to see you."

It was a polite greeting, but she couldn't hide the nervousness in her eyes. It was Reina's black flame.

Her mind was a little confused, but Rostin didn't say anything, so she didn't ask.

No, in times like this, it was better not to ask. If you do it wrong, your head could be blown off.

Seeing the look in her eyes, but not caring, Reina answered.

"Yes, that's right, I need a big safe, very strong and impenetrable, because I'm going to put all my wealth in it."

"A big safe for all your possessions? Can I convert one of your rooms into a vault?"

"That's fine. I don't care what you do, as long as you make it big and strong, and I don't care how much it costs."

Eileen's eyes lit up at her favorite kind of client.

As long as you're big and strong, it doesn't matter what you do. This was her chance to use all her skills and fill her heart with pride with other people's money.

"Oh, and can you make the door double, because I'm going to build a trap between it and the door, just in case."

"What kind of trap?"

"This."

Reina flicked a flame in her hand.

At that point, she couldn't pretend to be ignorant anymore.

It was weird not to ask, especially when she was showing it to me so openly. Eileen spoke carefully.

"That flame is......"

"I'm not the Demon King. The flames are just black. My pleasure is to lie down, eat dessert, and watch the greenhouses grow. This duke here is a witness, isn't he?"

Dada dada dada. Now she had a very good excuse.

She was being asked so many questions that she felt like she could answer them in her sleep.

Unfazed by the unexpected arrow, Rostin nodded.

"Yes, it is a coincidence. The Oracle doesn't say that the Demon king is the only one who wields the Black Flame, so it's possible that the Demon King and the Princess both use it."

Oh, what? Isn't this great logic that is completely closed?

That seemed to convince Rostin of Reina's flame.

"I don't believe it's fair to associate her with the Demon King simply based on her magic color, especially considering she hasn't committed any significant wrongdoing."

Reina found herself impressed. Her own reasoning felt subjective and biased, whereas his response was entirely rational.

And she found herself quite fond of it. It even stirred a slight warmth in the pit of her stomach.

"Indeed, it's a fact that I was born as a genuine demon lord."

Yet, she hadn't inflicted harm upon Rostin's parents or summoned demons into existence. In truth, she lacked the capability to do so. Occasionally, she'd hear an evil voice in her mind, but she'd forcefully silence it.