Chapter 46

***

"Veronica has taken over all the greenhouse work, so I'm receiving a salary now. Is that acceptable? After all, I'm a knight by trade. Though I've been barely caught, I've been working undercover as a spy. Remarkably, I've performed so well that she's offered compensation. And I must say, it's quite substantial, almost on par with what you pay me, Duke."

Chase's face radiated pride as he recounted his achievements from the previous day.

Still a knight, yet now also receiving payment as a farmer (?), he inquired, "What do you think I should do?" with an irrepressible grin and jesting manner.

When questioned about his early morning visit to the Duke's office instead of Reina's mansion, he seemed to revel in the opportunity to boast.

Among his subordinates, none but Chase would speak so boldly, sparking more and more side conversations.

It wasn't that the Duke disliked it; he found it intriguing to hear about Reina's ventures.

"...Take it. You're excelling at both roles, so why not?"

"Oh! Are you certain? Well then, I won't take no for an answer. I'll gladly accept both."

Chase giggled with delight at the unexpected increase in income.

He couldn't be certain of Reina's financial situation, but she possessed considerable wealth.

The artifacts she had retrieved from the Duchy of Rubellite were priceless treasures, each holding immense value.

Whether Reina brought them herself or not, they were worth at least as much as a noble family's entire fortune.

Upon reflection, it seemed she possessed a knack for luck, not only in hiring the necessary personnel for this desolate polar region plagued by snow and demons.

"Well, I should return to my duties. Ah! Regrettably, it's already past breakfast time; I should have reported earlier..."

He couldn't figure out which one of them was actually working.

Somehow, Rostin harbored a sense that he might soon lose a valuable knight.

With a sigh, he gathered his papers and rose from his seat.

"I'll accompany you."

"Uh, do you have business at the manor?"

"Yes. While you were occupied with farming, the individual I'm about to introduce to the princess arrived yesterday."

The tone was oddly blunt.

It was true, so Chase smiled and followed Rostin to the abyssal manor.

"Duke, is this the place... I thought I heard it was your mansion, but it's not quite what I expected."

The accompanying vaultmaster scanned Reina's mansion and voiced his impressions.

Her reaction was not unfounded. The mansion, engulfed in black flames, exuded an ominous aura.

Reina's dwelling was so peculiar that he considered himself fortunate not to have screamed in terror and fled.

"It's not a demonic mansion by any means, it's just that the princess uses black magic."

Chase brushed it off.

It seemed ludicrous to excuse the use of black magic without being associated with demons. However, Rostin, perhaps the most vehement anti-demon individual, remained silent, prompting the vaultmaster to follow suit.

"Huh? Where is everyone?"

Observing the deserted front yard of the mansion, Chase tilted his head in perplexity.