Chapter 38

As Reina had suspected, Rostin possessed a discerning eye.

It was only natural; after all, he wasn't just a nobleman but a duke, presiding over the entirety of the North, even in his sixth year.

With this in mind, Rostin evaluated the treasures that Reina had brought back from the ducal residence.

"...I've never seen a sapphire of this size before, and the craftsmanship suggests it was even larger originally."

"So, what's its value?"

"Well, one might say it's invaluable. It's worth considerably more than a golden statue."

While a statue could be forged from gathered gold, the same couldn't be said for jewelry.

No matter how much wealth one possessed, if the seller wasn't willing to part with it—or if one lacked the item itself—it couldn't be obtained.

That's why jewelry commanded a higher price than gold.

Even the jewelers Reina had brought from the Duke's mansion were quoting prices for these rarely seen pieces.

Reina must have acquired immense wealth, then. Did she simply choose the right pieces?

As Reina celebrated, Rostin picked up one of the swords and gave it a swing.

"And this sword, it bears resemblance to the one wielded by the first duke. It's lightweight yet sharp and wieldy. Even an amateur could inflict significant damage with it."

He concluded his assessment by remarking that while it wasn't an extravagant sword, and he had no lofty expectations, it was an uncommon blade whose composition even he couldn't discern.

Paintings, sculptures, ornaments, and more—most of her possessions were beyond price, impossible to quantify.

"You've simply left them lying around without realizing it. What if someone were to steal them?"

Reina seized both of her trembling hands in response to the sudden wealth.

"... I don't think anyone would dare."

Who would risk breaking into a mansion enveloped in black flames covering every surface, only to abscond with a mere trinket?

It seemed wiser to target the estates of other nobles—larger, more populated, and with better opportunities for disguise to avoid detection.

While the odds of burglary were slim, Rostin felt compelled to interject.

"But it wouldn't hurt to be prepared, just in case. I can introduce you to a competent safe-keeper if you need one."

"Really? You have such a craftsman?"

"Yes. He's the one who built the vault in the Duke of Wintersnow's castle."

"Introduce me to him! I'm going to turn this entire room into a vault. I'll put all the gold coins and treasures inside, and set a fire in front of it.''

A flame so intense it would liquefy anyone who dared to approach.

Though a vault wasn't necessary at that point, Rostin agreed that it was a prudent precaution.

"Thank you. Honestly, my initial impression of you wasn't the greatest, but now that I see you're quite straightforward, you actually seem like a decent character."

It was a fair assessment. In fact, Reina tended to be more direct than Rostin.

Fortunately, neither of them were the type to be wounded by blunt honesty.