Chapter 51

***

Thanks to Rostin's efforts, the demons were swiftly cleared out.

Initially, they had only intended to assess the situation, but since they managed to vanquish all the demons without sustaining any injuries, they decided to press on.

For the next hour or so, they ventured deeper into the labyrinth, but the pattern remained unchanged.

Demons emerged, Rostin killed them, and Reina watched from the back.

Although they emerged unscathed, the constant activity left them feeling weary, prompting them to take a break and enjoy some lunch.

In the midst of their respite, Reina finally voiced the question that had been weighing on her mind.

"Why are you so strong? Have you trained so much? If you're so strong, why did you let the Labyrinth go untouched? You could have destroyed it so the North would be safe."

It didn't seem necessary to stop him. It seemed like Rostin could handle the labyrinth on his own.

As the questions poured in, he set down his plate and answered them one by one.

"I've undergone extensive training, but I also inherited my family's innate power, which accelerated my growth. As for the labyrinth, it remained sealed per the instructions of the temple."

It was an oracle from long ago. It was to be sealed until a holy woman appeared, for it was filled with demons that humans could not defeat.

Thus, the former Duke of Wintersnow had a sturdy gate installed at the labyrinth's entrance, with the key passed down through successive generations.

Reina's fork clattered against her plate as her eyes widened in astonishment.

So, he had such a crucial commitment?

"Then why did you accompany me? Did I ask too much of you? You mentioned it was a family tradition."

She wondered whether her request had inadvertently caused trouble for Rostin by lightly disregarding his promise.

"Well, who knows. Let's just say it wasn't too burdensome."

The temple was the first to throw a fit. They came to the Duke's castle unannounced and killed Duke Rubellite's butler.

Such behavior hardly befitted a High Priest, regardless of the perspective. This wasn't the same man who had brought healing to Luca.

It was a close call indeed.

The overzealousness of the High Priest, and Rostin's failure to honor a generational vow.

Moreover, Rostin had never placed full trust in the temple or the High Priest.

You might think, "All because of one mistake by the High Priest?" But that misstep was precisely the issue.

Rostin had viewed him as flawless, thus adhering to his every directive unquestioningly, even when evidence was lacking.

Now that his infallibility had been tarnished, everything Rostin had done thus far came under scrutiny.

"Well, I'm glad to hear that, but... but don't you think this place isn't that dangerous? I know you're strong, but I don't think you need to seal it."

Reina remarked, setting down her emptied lunch container.

Rostin was indeed strong, but she didn't see the need for a seal if he could defeat a demon so overwhelmingly.

Rostin nodded, his face serious as if he'd thought the same thing.

"I see. I didn't expect to advance so easily either."