Chapter 22

He needed confirmation that someone was dead?

Rostin's strides decelerated. He pivoted and approached the butler once more.

"What are you talking about?"

"N-need t-to c-confirm...!"

However, the butler, still not entirely lucid, only floundered.

The attending doctor, observing his condition, shook his head, stating it wasn't normal.

"He's not fully awake, more like he's just speaking gibberish. He'll go back to sleep."

True to the doctor's prediction, the butler soon succumbed to unconsciousness and collapsed into a heap.

Nevertheless, he was on the road to recovery and would soon regain full consciousness.

"Oh, by the way, I found this among his belongings."

The knight handed Rostin a note.

It was simply scrawled with an address.

"He was probably attempting to verify something here, so I'll send a knight to investigate."

"No, I'll go myself. It's not that far away."

The address on the note led to a small, uninhabited village about an hour from the castle, once populated until five years ago—when demons ambushed the duke, resulting in a gruesome demise.

It wasn't a place that Rostin held particularly dear.

Perhaps it was meant to be a meeting point, yet with no specified time, it seemed more likely to be potential evidence rather than a rendezvous.

Cantering swiftly, Rostin reached his destination and made a beeline for the location indicated in the note.

'An old, modest house, but the securely locked door suggests...'

It was more indicative of not anticipating an encounter with the living.

After breaking the lock, Rostin pushed open the door, emitting an eerie squeak, and entered.

"Ugh."

The accompanying knight, catching a whiff of an unpleasant odor, promptly covered his nose.

It was an aroma he preferred not to grow accustomed to but had regrettably become familiar with.

Furrowing his brow, Rostin gazed at the human figure lying in the center of the living room.

Charred by fire, its age was indiscernible, but it bore the semblance of a woman, approximately five-foot-five, with a slender build.

With no recognizable features remaining, only a few strands of hair on her scalp hinted at the color she once wore in life.

"Silver hair..."

Simultaneously, Reina came to mind.

The butler and servant of Duke Rubellite.

A silver-haired woman, around 165 centimeters tall, with a slender build.

The circumstances seemed oddly aligned.

Perhaps the butler, having heard the news, arrived to verify the princess's demise.

'But she was perfectly fine just a while ago...'

While there was a slight chance she had been killed and relocated after leaving the manor, the body before him had clearly been in this place for some time.

So, who was this woman, and why was Duke Rubellite's butler so fervently trying to identify a body that bore an uncanny resemblance to the princess?

'Maybe,' he pondered, 'perhaps it was his family who initiated the request to eliminate the Rubellite Princess.'