Chapter 44

***

It was on the eastern outskirts where the saint and Aden found themselves, a location slightly removed from the central hub of the East, bordered by a vast forest to the North.

Rumors circulated that an oracle had foretold the arrival of demons in this area, a phenomenon uncommon beyond the confines of the North.

Aden speculated that the emergence of a saint might have provoked such supernatural activity.

Upon reaching the designated site mentioned in the oracle, the creatures materialized before him.

Though Aden had encountered demons on numerous occasions, these seemed markedly different.

'They look weak.'

The demons in front of him looked quite weak. They were only half the size of an adult man.

They were armed, of course, but their small size made them look like nothing.

With a few swipes of his sword, the demons fell to the ground. He hadn't even used his specialty, magic.

What was even more mysterious was that when he  finished defeating them, more would appear as if they had been waiting for them.

Again, and again, and again.

"This isn't some kind of prank. What the hell is this?"

For what seemed like the umpteenth time, Aden was getting annoyed.

If they were stronger, they might be fun to fight, but right now he felt like he was dealing with a child.

Facing another wave of summoned demons, Aden enchanted his sword and swung it wildly.

Only once. With a single movement, the demons were annihilated.

But it was only for a moment, as new demons were summoned, rendering his attack meaningless.

"Ha, you damn Demon King bastard! You're playing with me!"

Having had enough, Aden threw himself against a large boulder.

Even if he was defeated, he would be summoned again, so there was no need for him to relax.

They might be demons, but they were weak and could be avoided.

Of course, the saint who accompanied him could not do that.

"Kyaaaah!"

Aden's neglect of the situation, dealing only with the demons that came near him, left the Saint in danger.

It was a very weak demon to him, but not at all to the Saint.

At only level 5, she was easy prey.

"D-divine light!"

But that didn't mean the saint was idle.

She furiously attacked the demons with the magic she'd been practicing for days, even if it wasn't very effective.

"Holy light, holy light, holy light...!"

She would have preferred it if it didn't work at all - it stung a bit, but it only hurt the demons' feelings.

"Kukuk? Kukuk-?!"

"Queak! Queeek!"

"Kaaaaaaak!"

The enraged demons charged at the saint. This was unlike anything she had ever seen before.

With their weapons clenched tightly, the demons leapt toward the saint.

She froze in place in terror and fear, her eyes tightly shut.