V.3-Ch.2.1: Paradise & Damnation

Misaki

Slowly opening my eyes, I wake up to find myself lying down on my bed in my room. To be more precise, it wasn't my room at the dorms at the high school, but rather a room on a luxurious cruise ship which I and the other first-year students boarded on.

After the incident between Tsukamoto and three Class C students, and after our end-of-term exam, we were given a two-week vacation to go on a cruise ship. Matsubara-sensei had told our class about this when we took our mock test a couple months ago.

Here on the ship, everybody was living their life, enjoying it to the fullest. However, when I say "everybody", that doesn't include myself. Instead of going out and experiencing everything the ship had to offer, I stayed within my room just reading or studying. Why I did this was because I saw there being no point in doing it when you know what would come.

On the surface, this was a vacation, but underneath it all, it was merely a facade for an upcoming special exam. How I knew this was thanks to my mother, who was once a former student here at the Advanced Nurturing High School. She told me many stories of her time here, and one story involved her being on a cruise ship, heading towards an uninhabited island which was the location of a special exam.

"This special exam was the first one we've ever taken, and it was one where I struggled quite a lot. I was sick, and my skills as a leader were still developing at the time. Because of that, my class had nearly collapsed entirely and failed. Fortunately, in the end, we managed to pass the special exam coming in first place."

Luckily, I myself wasn't sick and my leadership skills have improved during my time here at this school. If I make the right moves, I'm confident my class and I will pass this special exam and hopefully take first place.

Hm...I guess I'll go out and see where we are at the moment. I got up from my bed and grabbed my clothes from the wardrobe, putting them on. Next, I grabbed my phone, which had been charged, and left my room.

The Cruise Ship; Hallways

As I went up a few levels and walked throughout the cruise ship, I passed by many other first-year students, as well as a few adults who were working here. The ship was large, and it housed me and many others who were on board. I was often a loner, so I wasn't quite comfortable staying on this ship with this many people.

It was morning time and I was heading on my way to the buffet to grab a bite to eat. As I kept walking, I happened to pass by three Class C students-one of them being Ryuen Takemi. The two of us took a quick glance at each other, then passed by each other without saying anything.

Takemi, no, Ryuen was a childhood friend of mine in the past. Her parents and my mother knew each other quite well back in high school. Thanks to my mother's rivalry with hers, we got to know each other well. Rather than being the normal friends many people usually are, some could say we were "rivals" ourselves. And who do we have to thank for that other than our mothers...

At this school, Ryuen and I were in different classes, which meant that we were enemies. The two of us would have to fight each other one day. However, she wouldn't be able to do that seeing that Bushida was the current leader of their class.

Ryuen wants to take him down herself and only by herself to become the Class Representative. Once she does, she'll have control over the class. I suspect she'll use her power as their leader to challenge me and my class, specifically me alone. I don't mind taking her on if she wishes to challenge me, but I fear that if I do, there will be many, many more to come afterwards.

The Cruise Ship; Buffet

I eventually arrived at my destination and just outside of the entrance, there I saw a familiar figure sitting down at a table sipping on a drink while reading a book.