Goodbye

The next time y/n and Fred met was a few days before the exams. Ever since y/n had slapped him and he'd had called her crazy, Fred had kept his distance from her. So the conversation was also rather distant. But suddenly she grabbed his arm. "What?"

"I said we're going," Fred repeated, pulling his arm out of her hand. "Me and George."

"Where? Are you crazy? You haven't finished school yet!", she reminded him. But he shrugged his shoulders. "We'll okay anyways."

"That's totally stupid," y/n protested. Fred shrugged again. "But I'm not asking for your permission or your opinion. I'm just telling you."

"Well then," y/n said and threw her hands in the air. "Go ahead. Do what you want."

"I will," he nodded. She narrowed her eyes. "Good for you."

"You don't have anything more to say?", Fred asked now. "What should I say? I said stay here, I apologized right after the slap, at Christmas I said I love you... I didn't said as many things to anyone, as I said to you."

Fred looked a little sad now. "I'm not leaving you, you know that. The school year is almost over anyway."

She sighed. "Yes, I know..."

As he approached her, she let her forehead fall against his chest. He gently patted her head.

"That looks totally cute," a third voice suddenly sounded. George. "Have you told her yet?"

"Yes, he did," y/n answered without raising her head. George sounded satisfied. "Fantastic, then we'll finally be out of here tomorrow."

Now y/n looked at him. When George saw her look, he jumped briefly. "Now don't look at me so angry. You better be happy for us."

"I am," she replied, although not very convincingly. But it seemed to be enough for the twins. "We expect you to come to our store as soon as school is over."

"Mhm," y/n mumbled and nodded halfheartedly. "Sure, I'll see you then."

Then she turned and walked away. She didn't know why she was so upset that the twins wanted to leave. The two of them were right, their school days would soon be over anyway. But maybe that was exactly it. Until now, y/n had avoided thinking about the future. She was already dreading the career orientation interview with Flitwick. But the fact that the two of them were already planning to leave only made it clear that y/n would have to say goodbye to everyone and everything here soon. So that evening she came to the dormitory with her shoulders slumped. Of course her friends wanted to know what was going on. When y/n told them, Olivia shook her head. "Y/n! You absolutely don't have to worry about the future. All options are open to you."

Maggie nodded. "Besides, you don't have to know all the answer by now. I don't too. I talked to my parents about taking a year off. Maybe I'll travel, maybe I'll do an internship."

Y/n shrugged. "It's just... Fred and George know exactly what they want."

Olivia rolled her eyes. "So what? Those two were never a benchmark for you. So why should they be now?"

"I see it that way too," Maggy said. "You have completely different demands and goals than the two of them."

After talking to her friends, y/n felt better. And so it didn't hit her quite as hard when the twins left the next morning with lots of noise and fireworks. Of course they turned the whole school upside down again before disappearing.

A week later, y/n received a letter by the owl mail. George wrote to her that they had arrived safely and that the setting up of their shop was in full swing. They had been able to buy the premises they wanted with Harry's winnings. Y/n was happy for them, but didn't write a letter back. The final exam preparations were in full swing. But it should be worth it. Y/n passed all subjects with excellent grades. But she couldn't really be happy about it.

Because when it was time for a final conversation with Flitwick, she still had no plan as to what to do next. Her teacher also sighed as he looked at her over his glasses. "Y/n, time is getting a little short. You don't have to find your dream job, but there has to be something that you want."

Y/n twisted her mouth. Over the last few days, a thought had occurred to her. "I would like some peace and silence."

"Silence? How am I supposed to understand that?", her teacher seemed unable to understand her words. "My thoughts never stand still, it's never quiet in my head. And I just want peace and contentment."

"I see," Flitwick nodded. "Peace and contentment. Any idea how they find that?"

Y/n shook her head. Flitwick smiled. "That's fine, you'll find out. You will receive a task from me. Try as much as you can without bias, eventually you will find a passion. You've toiled here for seven years, but life doesn't happen in books."