Shopping

Two weeks before Christmas, the girls headed to Hogsmeade to shop for ball gowns.

"Do you want clothes that match your companions' cloaks?", Alicia asked as they looked through the racks.

"Why should I?", Olivia asked snidely, as if nothing was further from her mind. She was going with a Durmstrang boy, a friend of Nikola's. He himself had asked Maggy, who had a different opinion. "Yes. I actually had planned to match with Nikola."

"I actually prefer to wear what I like," Angelina said and Katie nodded. Y/n, who had already looked for a few dresses, shrugged her shoulders. She had now internalized George's mindset and was rather relaxed about the ball.

"Are you okay?", Angelina then asked her as they went to the fitting rooms. Y/n nodded. "Sure, why?"

"I just mean because I actually thought that you and Fred might go together..." But y/n immediately shook her head. "No, I wanted to go with George, that's why I asked him."

"Ah okay", Angelina didn't sound so convinced. So Olivia stepped in instead. "I think y/n and George are a nice couple."

Maggie also nodded. "The two of them are pretty good friends, it's nice if they go together."

Y/n was grateful to both of them because now Angelina seemed happy. She didn't feel like talking about Fred. But it didn't become an issue anymore, so y/n enjoyed the day.

But she couldn't avoid Fred's existence forever. When they entered to the Great Hall for dinner that evening, they saw the twins and Lee from afar.

George waved at them, so they ran over, even though the Ravenclaw girls were supposed to go to their table. Lee grinned at the . "What have you been up to today?"

"We went shopping", Katie, who was Lee's date for the ball, said and smiled. Alicia, who was going with a Hufflepuff boy, nodded. "We bought dresses for the ball."

So the girls began to talk at random and describe their clothes. But y/n became completely silent when her and Fred's eyes met. Suddenly George's words no longer made any sense. It did matter who she went to the ball with. Fred going with Angelina wasn't right. Angelina telling Fred about her dress wasn't right either.

Y/n felt her throat tighten. But unfortunately now everyone's eyes turned to her.

"Sorry, what?", y/n asked. She hadn't been really listening anymore.

"What kind of dress did you buy y/n?", Lee repeated. Y/n's mouth was completely dry so she only answered very quietly. "It's a surprise."

Fred didn't seem to like that answer, but George nodded with a grin. "Wonderful! I love surprises."

After dinner Maggy, Olivia and y/n went to Ravenclaw Tower. When the lights went out in the dormitory, y/n couldn't sleep again. As if by themselves, her thoughts traveled to Fred. But that was silly, he was probably sleeping peacefully. If he really liked her, he would have asked her if she wanted to go to the ball with him. In his eyes they were probably just friends...

She was startled by her own thoughts. Because that meant that she didn't just see him as a friend. But she had known that, of course she had known it. It had been clear to her for a long time. But she didn't really like it. It stressed her out.

The next morning the world looked better again. A good night's sleep always helped her relax a little, at least when she finally fell asleep.

On the way to class they were intercepted by Hermione. "Y/n, you seemed very sensible to me when we talked at the Weasleys. You'll definitely join S.P.E.W."

"S... What?", questioningly she looked at the fourth year girl. Maggy and Olivia also seemed confused. Hermione sighed impatiently. "Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare"

"And what is that exactly?", Olivia asked. "An association that works to ensure that house elves lose their slave status. Did you know that at Hogwarts over a hundred house elves work without any rights and for free."

"But isn't that exactly what they're here for?", Maggy interjected cautiously, earning a more than angry look. Y/n, on the other hand, nodded. "Sure I'll join, what do I have to do?"

Hermione beamed at her enthusiastically. "The entry fee is two Sickles, but you'll get a badge with the club name on it for free."

"All right," said y/n and dug the coins out of her pocket. Olivia looked at her questioningly. "Why do you want to join?"

Y/n laughed. "Well, if Hermione leads the house elves into freedom, people like my parents will have to do their dirty work at home by themselves."

"Then I'll join too", Maggy said and also handed Hermione two Sickles. Olivia did the same. Hermione was thrilled when she gave the three Ravenclaw girls their S.P.E.W pins.