Chapter Twenty Nine

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Roseville, California

April 6th, 2016

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

When Camila was eleven, her father took her to the gym.

She wasn't technically allowed to be there, but she had shown an interest, and who was he to say no to his little girl? So she'd dressed in blue shorts and one of her brother's tank tops that went down to her knees, and then the special tennis shoes her dad bought her when she told him she wanted to be an athlete. The gym was a huge place- not really, she was just tiny for a pre-teen- but it amazed her to no end. People were lifting weights, others running for miles. They seemed free, as if nothing was bothering them in that moment. She wanted to feel that way.

So she'd trained everyday. Five pound weights were her jam, and her father bought a treadmill so she could run in their garage. It was fun, and it only made her and her gym-alcoholic dad closer.

Sometimes she misses him when she works out. When she notices her form is wrong, she thinks back to her dad gently teaching her how to do it, or when she's not meeting the right amount of protein intake, she can hear him telling her her body will eat up the muscles she gained if she doesn't eat enough.

It's hard, but it's motivating, so she eats the protein and corrects her form, so if maybe- maybe- he's there, watching over her protectively the way she thinks he is, he might just be proud of her.

She's in the car outside the gym at 4am when her phone dings, and she checks it quickly with a small frown. It's Taylor, emailing her the invitation to some fourth of July party she's throwing soon. Camila's birthday is July 5th, quickly followed by Jaspers on the 7th, and she wants them to come down for almost a full week to celebrate, no matter how much money it costs.

She's in California for a meeting or something, all the way near Oregon, but according to the life360 she shares with her bodyguards and friends that she let Camila on, she's currently on her way to the Davis household.

Camila chuckles to herself, clicking on facetime and setting up her phone against the wheel. Taylor is confused when she answers, looking around Camila to the dark sky outside her car as she chuckles.

"Why are you awake? And in gym clothes?"

"Why are you awake and driving towards my house?"

Taylor giggles, parking the car as she reaches back to talk to the cats who are in the backseat in their crates. "Stalker. And if you must know, I'm in search of you. I figured I'd get a hotel room and come see you and the kids in the morning." She doesn't say you, like she only wants to see Camila. It's, "you and the kids." She wants to see the kids too. The thought makes the brits heart swarm with butterflies.

"Yeah well....my mother is there right now, and the kids are asleep. I'm on my way to the gym. I've got a big game today." Camila says, picking at her nails until Taylor narrows her eyes to make her stop.

The blonde is silent for a minute before she speaks, quite hesitant, "Can I come with? I miss you." She's nervous Camila will say no- that she's burdening her during her personal time when she doesn't have work or the kids.

That all fades away when she sees the huge grin on her girl's face.

"You really want to? God that would be so much fun. You have my location, you have a lanyard, it'll get you in. It's the team's personal gym. Oh I'm so excited. You don't even understand Lori. This is gonna be amazing. You'll have so much fun I swear."