Chapter Fourteen

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Somewhere in Greece

December 26th, 2015

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

One of the main things Camila thinks about while she's putting together her court case is that her kids are having a terrible christmas.

The few times they've traveled out of America with her, it was because she had a hockey event somewhere or just wanted to go on a vacation. They've been to Greece once, and Camila still thinks about the smiles on their faces that entire trip daily.

They're not smiling now.

While she has zoom meetings with her legal team and cries alone in one of her sister's guestrooms, they hang out with their aunt.

They've barely spoken in weeks, and whether it's because they're upset or because they don't understand what's going on- Camila is worried she didn't explain it well enough-, nobody is sure. Jasper is seemingly becoming more and more protective over his mother and younger sister as the days to the court day come closer and closer, and Camila has to conceal her sobs when she finds him asleep in the hallway outside the guest room Dalia is in, the same was Jude did for her before he left for the army.

He doesn't come into her room to bounce on the bed and wake her up for Christmas like all the years before, and the only thing he does while opening presents is quietly thank his mother and help the youngest girl open her wrapping paper. Everyone spoiled them even extra this year- especially Taylor- but nothing is seeming to help with the fact that he has cancer and has to pick between his mom and dad.

Taylor, bless her soul, tried to make them as happy as she could- also letting Camila cry so hard she vomited- before she left to go spend Christmas in Tennessee with her family. It slightly worked, but they were right back to the zombie mood as their mother attempted to find some way to not screw up their childhoods more than she already has.

When she got pregnant at seventeen, she was scared. She was still just a teenager, though almost an adult, and she really didn't know anything about raising kids. But after Carlos promised her it would all be okay, that everything would be fine, she just decided one thing; she would never put them through hell the same way she had to as a kid.

But now, as she talks to her lawyer who says Carlos will probably use her history of alcohol abuse and the fact that she put Dalia in danger by drinking while she was pregnant in order to win the case, she's not so sure she did that.

She hasn't cried since Taylor left, never allowing herself a moment of weakness in the chaos of it all. Bonnie says it's unhealthy, and that she needs to take care of herself to prove to the courts she's the right choice, but she just can't seem to do it. She skips meals, her weight slowly dropping more and more in the midst of all her stress. Coach benched her for as long as she needed to, but in all honesty the only thing that would slightly help is the violence that comes with her sport.

Since she can't do that, she figure skates.

It's something she's done since she was a kid. In the off seasons of hockey, she'd switch out her jerseys for leggings and puffy jackets, the thick hockey skates for pretty figure skating ones, and then she'd go and dance her heart out in an empty stadium.

It's calming, but it's something few people know about her since she hasn't felt the need to do it since she was a teenager and Jude was announced missing in battle.

Though, it seems to be the only peace source now as she ties up the laces, shakily standing up before slowly skating onto the ice. Her body is weak from exhaustion, but in the silence of the arena that's usually filled with fans, combined with the feeling of the cold air numbing her face and hands, she lets a single tear fall down her face as she begins to dance.