Chapter Sixteen

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Watch Hill, Rhode Island

New Years Eve, 2015

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

After what felt like an eternity of agony and doubt, Camila finally saw relief and happiness on the horizon.

The verdict had been delivered, and the outcome was better than she had dared to hope for;

"And the jury has decided. Carlos Davis....you are found guilty on all counts of intentional deprivation of medication, domestic abuse, verbal abuse, physical assault, emotional abuse, and battery. Your sentencing is....13 years in prison, with a possibility of parole."

A whirlwind of emotions swept over her, as she felt a weight lifted from her shoulders and a sense of hope restored. Her battle may not be over yet, but for now, she was victorious, and the future looked brighter than it had in a long time.

Taylor holds her hands over Dalias ear and lets Jasper bury his head in her neck when Carlos shouts out as many curse words as he knows, taking notice of the way her friend tenses even as the man is being cuffed and taken away.

"Hey." She speaks, turning Camila's attention away from him. "You did it. You did this." The brit takes a deep breath, a smile finally forming on her face as she nods with tears in her eyes. Whether they're from happiness, relief, or sadness towards the kids who look confused on why their dad is being taken away while yelling out every curse word he knows, nobody knows.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

A few weeks later, Taylor hesitantly invites the girl to a new years party.

Camila hasn't talked about the court case since Carlos was taken to prison, only mentioning it once as far as Taylor knows when the brunette was telling Dalia and Jasper what's happening.

Jasper seems to understand, though he's distanced himself from everyone except for his little sister. It's a bit worrying, but every parenting website Camila and Taylor have looked at says that it's normal for kids to feel a bit hesitant to talk to anyone about how they're feeling when something like this happens. They just found out their father has been a total asshole that hits they're mother both when he's angry and when he's not. How are they supposed to react?

The two women have gone back to their "tradition" of getting coffee together at least once a week, just to talk about anything and everything while Camila sips her hot chocolate and Taylor does the same with her black coffee and peppermint creamer. Camila makes sure to make fun of the blonde for liking peppermint every time they hang out.

The waitress had just brought them their orders when Taylor nervously spit out, "I'm throwing a party. A new years party."

Camila looks up from the drawing of saturn on her hand that the blonde had drawn while they were waiting, eyeing the girl curiously. "That's nice hon. I hope you have fun."

"It wouldn't be fun if you aren't there. Well, you and the kids. I want you guys there, is what I'm trying to say." Camila tries to speak, but Taylor is still rambling. "You obviously don't have to go and I one hundred percent understand if you just want to stay home after the month you've had. Honestly, I'll cancel the entire thing just to hang out here with you and the kids if you want me to. I'd love that. So yeah." The brit giggles, her fingers lacing with Taylors under the table (She noticed Taylor doesn't love being too affectionate in public, though Camila loves holding hands with her. So they compromise.) "Think about it."

The brunette takes a deep breath, a large smile gracing her face. Taylors amused by her ability to be such a ray of sunshine after what she's been through. "I'd love to come. But they're in Greece with my sister so they won't be able to."