twenty-eight;

and now we're standing face to face
isn't this world a crazy place
just when I thought our chance had passed
you go and save the best for last;

and now we're standing face to faceisn't this world a crazy placejust when I thought our chance had passedyou go and save the best for last;

Getting his diploma was bittersweet. As ready as Jungkook was to graduate and get the hell out of Emerald, he will miss seeing his friends everyday.

Joseph and Hoseok are off to the west coast for college, while Yoongi and Jimin have decided to take a year off to travel. It surprised him at first, because Jimin was set on going to college in the fall, but he was happy for them. He can't wait to get pictures of all the places they go. As for Seokjin and Namjoon, they'll only be a few states over at BSU, so they plan on seeing them as often as they can.

Jungkook turns to Taehyung, watching as his thumb taps away on the steering wheel in perfect sync to the song playing on the radio. He recently started playing the piano again as part of his recovery process, and it makes Jungkook happy to see him starting to get back to his old self. It's been really hard these last few months navigating through his depression, but Jungkook is so proud of the steps he's taken for his mental health. His light deserves to be seen, not masked by the darkness that tries to loom over him.

"You're staring." Taehyung singsongs, glancing at Jungkook quickly before turning back to the road.

"Not at you," Jungkook lies, reaching out and running his hand across the dash. "I'm admiring the new car you got for graduation."

"It's too fancy," Taehyung mutters, and Jungkook rolls his eyes at his pout.

It was a present from his dad that he almost didn't accept. Thankfully Jungkook talked some sense into him, because how else would they get around without it? Jungkook has some money but not enough to waste on buying a car. He was cut off by his parents the day he received his diploma, which is fine, he was dead to them long before that. He is just glad he was smart enough to put away as much money as he could over the years, creating a little safety net. He plans on getting a job somewhere near Atlas University to help with expenses that may not be covered by his scholarship.

"I think the car is nice." Jungkook shrugs, sliding down his pink sunglasses from their resting spot on top of his head. A present from Taehyung that he just 'had to have.' "Where are we going anyway? You never told me."

Taehyung lets out a little grunt, reaching forward and turning up the radio, dodging his question again. Jungkook swears he's going to kill Taehyung with this. The guy just keeps surprising him at every turn. A few weeks ago Taehyung also got accepted into Atlas and Jungkook almost died when he told him. Jungkook was sure Taehyung's dad pulled out some strings to help his son, not like Jungkook was complaining. 

The only thing he is not happy about is that he won't get to see Taehyung much this summer considering he'll be away at soccer training camp, but it's a sacrifice he is willing to make.

When another hour passes, Jungkook is annoyed, starving, and ready to get out of this damn car bit. "Taehyung!" he whines, doing his best puppy dog impression. Not that Taehyung can see because he's driving, but still. "I'm hungry."

Taehyung laughs, reaching over and giving Jungkook's leg a squeeze. "Almost there, Princess. Be patient." 

Ugh, yeah right!

"But I don't want to wait. Can't I have a clue or something?" 

Taehyung shakes his head, pulling off the freeway and taking a back road, the whole while ignoring Jungkook. 

"I'm going to jump out of the car. We're going slow enough. I bet I can do a tuck-and-roll and I wouldn't even get hurt."

It's bullshit. Jungkook would never do that, but he is aiming for dramatics. Proving just how well Taehyung knows him, he chuckles and says, "Just make sure you cover your head. I'd hate for you to get a concussion."

"Ugh. Taehyung!"

Taehyung gives him a little wave. "Alright, alright, we're close. Now, close your eyes."

Jungkook's heart kicks up and his stomach floods with a dozen butterflies as he does what Taehyung says. He counts to sixty in his head, about to call Taehyung out for lying to him just as the car comes to a stop, and he turns off the ignition. 

"Don't look yet. I'll get you out!" Taehyung commands, hopping from his own seat and coming around to Jungkook's door. He helps him from the car, telling him over and over to keep his eyes covered.

"Okay, I get it, I'm not looking." Jungkook tosses back, the hunger and excitement getting to him.

Taehyung's chest is pressed against Jungkook's back as he walks him forward. "Are you ready?" His voice vibrates near Jungkook's ear, and Jungkook shudders at the proximity of his body. Not the right time for this. He scolds himself before nodding his head. He bites down on his lip as he waits for Taehyung to tell him to drop his hands. "Look."

Jungkook's hands falls to his sides, and he blinks, taking in the scene in front of him.

A loud gasp escapes him and tears instantly flood his eyes as he is assaulted with memories. "The carnival?" he chokes out, spinning around to look up at Taehyung, who is also teary-eyed.

"I felt like it was something we needed to do." Taehyung's voice cracks at the end and Jungkook know he's thinking about the last time they were here with Seoyeon. She would be so proud of how far Taehyung has come. 

"It's perfect," Jungkook whispers, standing up on his tiptoes and wrapping his arms around Taehyung tightly. "I love you so much."

"I love you too," Taehyung whispers, planting a kiss on his lips. "Was this a good surprise?"

Jungkook laughs, pulling away to wipe his tear-streaked cheeks. "The best."

"Good." Taehyung kisses him once more. "Now, no more crying. I have a starving brat to feed." He teases, throwing an arm over his shoulder, directing him towards the ticket booth.

"Yes! We need cotton candy, a hot dog, a caramel apple..." Jungkook trails off, while Taehyung wraps his arm around his waist. "All the good stuff."

Taehyung chuckles, "And all the good stuff you shall have."