The Strongest Of The Dead

Fortunately, Blackjack was on duty.  Percy did his best taxicab whistle, and within a few minutes three dark shapes circled out of the sky.  They looked like hawks at first, but as they descended I could make out the long galloping legs of Pegasi.  Blackjack landed at a trot, his friend Porkpie and another Pegasus right behind him.  Blackjack made some noises

Percy: Thanks for coming.  Hey, why do Pegasi gallop as they fly, anyway?

Blackjack whinnied, seemingly telling him... something.  I don't know, I don't speak horse.

Percy: We need to get to the Williamsburg Bridge.

Blackjack lowered his neck.  When Sarah, Annabeth, and Percy got on the Pegasi, I leaped into the air after them.  We saw the battle before we were close enough to make out individual fighters.  It was well after midnight now, but the bridge blazed with light.  Cars were burning.  Arcs of fire streamed in both directions as flaming arrows and spears sailed through the air.  We came in for a low pass, and I saw the Apollo campers retreating.  They would hide behind cars and snipe at the approaching army, setting off explosive arrows and dropping caltrops in the road, building fiery barricades wherever they could, dragging sleeping drivers out of their cars to get them out of harm's way.  But the enemy kept advancing.  An entire phalanx of dracaenae marched in the lead, their shields locked together, spear tips bristling over the top.  An occasional arrow would connect with their snaky trunks, or a neck, or a chink in their armor, and the unlucky snake woman would disintegrate, but most of the Apollo arrows glanced harmlessly off their shield wall.  About a hundred more monsters marched behind them.  Hellhounds leaped ahead of the line from time to time.  Most were destroyed with arrows, but one got hold of an Apollo camper and dragged him away.  I didn't see what happened to him next.  I didn't want to know.

Annabeth: There!

Sure enough, in the middle of the invading legion was the Minotaur himself.  He was prepared for battle.  From the waist down, he wore standard Greek battle gear, a kiltlike apron of leather and metal flaps, bronze greaves covering his legs, and tightly wrapped leather sandals.  His top was all bull.  Hair and hide and muscle leading to a head so large he should've toppled over just from the weight of his horns.  He was ten feet tall at least.  A double bladed axe was strapped to his back, but he was too impatient to use it.  As soon as he saw Percy circling overhead, or smelled him more likely, since his eyesight was bad, he bellowed and picked up a white limousine.

Percy: Blackjack, dive!

We were at least a hundred feet up, but the limo came sailing toward us, flipping fender over fender like a two ton boomerang.  Annabeth and Porkpie swerved madly to the left, while Blackjack tucked in his wings and plunged.  The limo smacked me in the head, and would have killed me if it weren't for my immunity to death.  I felt the gash on my head closing as I plummeted towards the street.  Some Apollo campers came rushing over, but I sat up and waved them off.

Michael: How are you alive?  Did you bathe in the Styx too?

YN: No.  I'll tell you later.

The Minotaur picked up another car, as monsters began to jeer and shout at us.  They quickly stopped as I stood up, pulling out Orcus.  Blackjack swooped down behind an overturned school bus, where a couple of campers were hiding, followed quickly by Sarah, Annabeth, and Percy leaped off as soon as the Pegasi's hooves touched the pavement.  Then the Pegasi soared into the night sky.  Michael and I ran over to them.

Michael: Glad you could join us.  Where are the other reinforcements?

Percy: For now, we're it.

Michael: Then we're dead.

YN: No we're not.  A week ago I prayed to my father.  If you can buy me a few minutes, I'll raise an undead army that the monsters have no chance of beating.

Michael: We'll get you those few minutes then.

Annabeth: You still have your flying chariot?

Michael: Nah.  Left it at camp.  I told Clarisse she could have it.  Whatever, you know?  Not worth fighting about anymore.

Sarah: Yep.  But she said it was too late.  They'd insulted her honor for the last time, or something like that.

I sighed, walking back towards where the road met the bridge.

YN: Two minutes, guys.  That's all I need.

When I reached the street, I slammed Orcus into the ground, embedding the blade into the pavement.

YN: In the name of Thanatos.  Spirits of the Myrmidons, I call you to the surface.  Serve me and fight!

The ground began to shake.  After about thirty seconds of tremors, the road split open, and out crawled about a dozen skeleton soldiers, each about 7 feet tall.  They wore shiny red Greek armor, and carried swords, spears, and shields.  They lined up in ranks, facing me and awaiting orders.

YN: Your orders are to slaughter the monsters on the bridge.  If you see any Demigods in trouble, prioritize rescuing them.  Go.

The Myrmidons turned and charged for the bridge.  They ran right past the Half-bloods and crashed into the dracaenae phalanx, scattering the formation and cutting through the enemy lines.  In the distance, I saw Percy toss the Minotaur off the bridge as I ran over to Sarah, Michael, and Annabeth, who were staring at the skeleton soldiers in shock.

Sarah: Th-those are...

YN: I asked my father for unstoppable warriors.  He gave me the strongest army in Ancient Greece, led by Achilles.  My father gave me the Myrmidons.