We Have A Dam Good Time

Zoe: Let us find the dam snack bar.  We should eat while we can.

Grover cracked a smile.

Grover: The dam snack bar?

Zoe: Yes.  What is funny?

Grover: Nothing.

Grover was trying to keep a straight face.

YN: I could use some dam french fries.

Even Bianca smiled at that.

Bianca: And I need to use the dam restroom.

Maybe it was the fact that we were so tired and strung out emotionally, but I started cracking up, and Thalia, Percy, and Grover joined in, while Zoe just looked at us.

Zoe: I do not understand.

Grover: I want to use the dam water fountain.

Thalia: And... I want to buy a dam T-shirt.

Grover and Percy suddenly stopped laughing.

Grover: Was that a cow?

YN: A dam cow?

Grover: No.  I'm serious.

Zoe: I hear nothing.

Thalia and I stared at Percy, who looked nervous.

Thalia: Percy, are you okay?

Percy: Yeah.  You guys go ahead.  I'll be right in.

TIMESKIP

I was looking for Percy, when I saw a girl with frizzy hair push him into the bathroom.  I hid behind a corner as she addressed the skeletons, who had somehow caught up already.

???: Oh my god!  Did you see that kid?  He was waving a sword around, he went that way!

She pointed down the hall away from the bathroom.  The skeletons chittered excitedly, then rushed off down the hall.

???: It's okay, you can come out now.

I stepped out from the corner, causing her to turn to me as Percy exited the bathroom.  Her eyes widened.

???: What the... why do you have wings?

This girl... is she clearsighted?

YN: Sorry, but we don't have time.  Percy, let's go!

The skeletons had stopped and turned around, seeing us.  The girl turned to Percy.

???: Wait, what's your name?

Percy: Percy... gotta go!

We raced off back to the others as the girl called after us.

Rachel: What kinda name is Percy Gotta Go?

TIMESKIP

We're now in San Francisco.  It's a long story, involving giant angel statues with rubbed toes, but it doesn't matter.  We're close to finding Annabeth, Sara, and Artemis.

YN: Alright.  You guys go find Nereus, I'll fly up into the sky, see if I can get any idea where they are.

I launched myself into the air, flying up just below the clouds.  There was a mountain in the distance, and I could sense some really old, dark magic there.  I knew that Olympus and Mount Othrys, the mountain where Kronos' palace was before the Olympians took over, had both migrated here.  If Mount Tamalpais was the new anchor for Mount Othrys... that had to be where they were being kept.  I flew down to the docks, where I found the others cornered by some mortals with guns, as well as Dr. Thorn.  I flew down towards them, but before I could attack, all hell broke loose.  There was a loud snap.  It was the sound of many minds breaking at the same time.  The sound of madness.  One guard put his pistol between his teeth like it was a bone and ran around on all fours.  Two others dropped their guns and started waltzing with each other.  The fourth began doing what looked like an Irish clogging dance.  It would have been funny if it hadn't been so terrifying.

Thorn: NO!  I will deal with you myself!

His tail bristled, but the planks under his paws erupted into grape vines, which immediately began wrapping around the monster's body, sprouting new leaves and clusters of green baby grapes that ripened in seconds.  The manticore shrieked, until he was engulfed in a huge mass of vines, leaves, and full clusters of purple grapes.  Finally the grapes stopped shivering, and I had a feeling that somewhere inside there, the manticore was no more.  I landed on the dock behind the others, noticing an Iris Message with Mr. D's face.

Mr. D: Well!  That was fun.

Everyone stared at him, horrified.

Percy: How did you... how could you-

Mr. D: Such gratitude.  The mortals will come out of it.  Too much explaining to do if I made their condition permanent.  I hate writing reports to Father.

He glared at Percy and Thalia.

Mr. D: I hope you learned your lesson, children.  It isn't easy to resist power, is it?

Percy and Thalia looked down, ashamed.

Grover: Mr. D, you... you saved us.

Mr. D: Mm.  Don't make me regret it, satyr.  Now get going, Percy Jackson.  I've bought you a few hours at most.

With that, he vanished.

YN: Did... did he just say Percy Jackson?

Percy was grinning at finally being called the right name.  All around us, the manticore's minions were still acting completely nuts.  One of them had found our friend the homeless guy, and they were having a serious conversation about metal angels from Mars.  Several other guards were harassing the tourists, making animal noises and trying to steal their shoes.  Percy turned to Zoe.

Percy: What did he mean... you know where to go'?

Her face was the color of the fog.  She pointed across the bay, past the Golden Gate.  In the distance, a single mountain rose up above the cloud layer.

YN: We gotta get to Mount Tamalpais.  If I'm right, that's where Mount Othrys is.

Zoe nodded, turning to the others.

Zoe: My sisters' garden.  I must go home.