We Experience Death

Okay, I'm skipping the zoo truck and the Lotus Casino.  Both are boring in my opinion.

Alexa, Percy, Annabeth, Grover, and I walked along the bank of the River Styx, coming to a gap in the giant wall separating us from the Underworld.  Sarah and Lucas had opted to stay above ground.  There, we found a man with a hood and a cloak, guiding seemingly normal people into the Underworld.  He turned to us, and I saw his face... kind of. I could only see from his mouth down, and his skin was stark white.  Above that was just pitch black shadow from his cloak.  Percy tried to offer him drachmas, but he just blew a whistle... which made no sound.  My eyes widened.

YN: Percy, that's a dog whistle!  Run, now!

Percy seemed to get what I was saying, and he, Annabeth and Grover ran.  Sure enough, a few moments later, a giant three headed dog came bounding out of the gap.  Cerberus chased after them, as Charon turned to us.  He gave a small smile, and spoke in a raspy voice.

Charon: YN Ernten... Alexandra Ernten... welcome.

Alexa winced at the name.  She hated being called by her full name.

Alexa: The only one who was allowed to call me that was my mother.

Charon: Ah yes, I remember her.  The only woman my brother ever fell in love with. She resides in Elysium now.  Your father made sure of it.  He still visits her, every day.

I smiled a bit at that.  I handed him the skull Ares had given to me.

YN: Ares gave me this.  He said if we gave it to you, you could take us to see our father.

Charon nodded, taking the skull, which dissolved when I let go.

Charon: I bid you farewell, my niece and nephew.  Tell Thanatos I said hello.

There was a flash of light, and suddenly we were somewhere else.  It was just a flat plain of dull green sand, stretching out as far as we could see in every direction.

Alexa: Woah...

???: Welcome.

We spun around, and there was a man standing behind us.  He was tall and slender, with pale skin and long black hair.  He wore a black Greek tunic with gold embroidery, with golden wing ornaments on his right shoulder and a dagger on his left hip.  He had dark circles under his eyes, and his pupils were a dull yellow, but his eyes were surprisingly full of life.  He gave us a warm smile.

(If you can figure out where I got the outfit description, you win a cookie)

Thanatos: My children.

He spoke in a British accent, and his voice sounded surprisingly happy for the grim reaper.

Alexa: Dad...

YN: Father?

Thanatos: You've grown so much since the last time I saw you.  Although I expected as much, seeing as that was the day you were born.

He walked towards us, putting his hands on our shoulders.

YN: You... you were there?

Thanatos: Of course, my son.  You really think I'd miss the birth of my only children?  I'm so proud of you both.  I tried to find a time to visit you, even if it was just in your dreams, but... my job doesn't permit me to leave the Underworld unless it is to collect a life.  But when I learned you were on a quest that would take you here, I knew I had to see you.

Alexa's eyes started to tear up, and I smiled.  I always thought my father had forgotten us, or just didn't care.

Thanatos: Now, I am glad you received my blessing, YN.  I'd meant to give each of you my blessing at the same time, but you needed it a bit more urgently.  As for you, Alexa...

He reached out, touching her forehead.  She glanced over her shoulder, most likely looking for wings, but nothing happened.  Our father chuckled.

Thanatos: No, you will not be receiving wings.  I've given you power over the Mist.

Her eyes widened, as she looked around, and the landscape around us began to change.  It changed from an empty desert to a beautiful garden, filled with pomegranate trees.

Thanatos: You will not only be able to see through it clearly, but change what others see.  You can force even the strongest deities to see what you wish.

She grinned, rushing forward and giving him a hug.  I stepped forward and hugged him as well, as his wings wrapped around us.  He let go and we stepped back.

YN: Thank you father.  I'm glad we were able to see you.

Thanatos: Not as glad as I am, my son.  Now, your friends need you back in the living world. However...

He placed his hands on each of our foreheads.  For the god of death, his hands were surprisingly warm.

Thanatos: As the only children of mine, and by extension the only grandchildren of Nyx and Erebus to come from me, they have opted to grant you gifts as well.  I do not know when or what they will give you, but you will both receive a gift from one of them.  Now... go, my children.

Everything suddenly went black, and when we opened our eyes, we were on the beach that Hermes' taxi had taken us to earlier.  And a few dozen feet away, Percy and Sarah were fighting Ares.  Alexa and I ran over to the others, who were watching.

YN: What happened?

Grover: Ares was the one who stole the bolt and Hades' Helm of Darkness.

Alexa: Hades' helm was missing?

Lucas: Yep.

YN: And, you guys aren't helping them fight because...

Annabeth: Percy and Sarah said they needed to do this alone.

We watched as a massive wall of water slammed into Ares, and Sarah's axe cracked his sword.  He looked at her proudly, and Percy sliced the back of his ankle.  He roared in pain, before glaring at Percy.

Ares: You've made a serious enemy, Percy Jackson.

With that, he started glowing.

YN: Look away from him!

Everyone turned away, as Ares revealed his true form and vanished.