Grover Causes A Stampede

It was the biggest military operation I'd ever seen at camp.  Everyone was at the clearing, dressed in full battle armor, but this time it wasn't for capture the flag.  The Hephaestus cabin had set up traps around the entrance to the Labyrinth.  Razor wire, pits filled with pots of Greek fire, rows of sharpened sticks to deflect a charge.  Beckendorf was manning two catapults the size of pickup trucks, already primed and aimed at Zeus's Fist.  The Ares cabin was on the front line, drilling in phalanx formation with Clarisse calling orders.  Apollo's and Hermes' cabins were scattered in the woods with bows ready.  Many had taken up positions in the trees.  Even the dryads were armed with bows, and the satyrs trotted around with wooden cudgels and shields made of rough tree bark.  But the most amazing part was the skeleton warriors, standing in a ring around Zeus' Fist, with swords and spears aimed at the opening.  Nico stood behind them, his Stygian Iron sword at his waist.  Alexa was next to him, manipulating the mist to hide the entrance, and buy us a little more time.  Annabeth went to join her brethren from the Athena cabin, who had set up a command tent and were directing operations.  A gray banner with an owl fluttered outside the tent.  Our security chief, Argus, stood guard at the door.  Aphrodite's children were running around straightening everybody's armor and offering to comb the tangles out of our horsehair plumes.  Even Dionysus's kids had found something to do.  The god himself was still nowhere to be seen, but his two blond twin sons were running around providing all the sweaty warriors with water bottles and juice boxes.  Sarah kissed me on the cheek and ran to join her siblings.  Lucas walked over.

Lucas: It's a beautiful day to die, huh?

YN: I don't know man.  It feels like we've got a pretty good chance...

The ground started trembling.  Nico and Alexa backed away from the rock, as the skeletons readied their weapons.  Everyone in the clearing stopped what they were doing.

Clarisse: Lock shields!

Then the Titan lord's army exploded from the Labyrinth.  I mean I'd been in fights before, but this was a full scale battle.  The first thing I saw were a dozen Laistrygonian giants erupting from the ground, yelling so loudly my ears felt like bursting.  They carried shields made from flattened cars, and clubs that were tree trunks with rusty spikes bristling at the end.  One of the giants bellowed at the Ares phalanx, smashed it sideways with his club, and the entire cabin was thrown aside, a dozen warriors tossed to the wind like rag dolls.  The skeletons swarmed the giant, who was caught off guard and quickly cut down.

Beckendorf: FIRE!

The catapults swung into action.  Two boulders hurtled toward the giants.  One deflected off a car shield with hardly a dent, but the other caught a Laistrygonian in the chest, and the giant went down.  Apollo's archers fired a volley, dozens of arrows sticking in the thick armor of the giants like porcupine quills.  Several found chinks in armor, and some of the giants vaporized at the touch of celestial bronze.  But just when it looked like the Laistrygonians were about to get overwhelmed, the next wave surged out of the maze.  Thirty, maybe forty dracaenae in full battle armor, wielding spears and nets.  They dispersed in all directions.  Some hit the traps the Hephaestus cabin had laid.  Others were killed by the skeletons.  One got struck on the spikes and became an easy target for archers.  Another triggered a trip wire, and pots of Greek fire exploded into green flames, engulfing several of the snake women.  But many more kept coming.  Argus and Athena's warriors rushed forward to meet them.  I saw Annabeth draw a sword and engage one of them.  Nearby, Tyson was riding a giant.  Somehow he'd managed to climb onto the giant's back and was repeatedly hitting him on the head with a bronze shield, making a satisfying bong sound.  Chiron calmly aimed arrow after arrow, taking down a monster with every shot.  But more enemies just kept climbing out of the maze.  Finally two hellhounds, neither of which was Mrs. O'Leary, leaped out of the tunnel and barreled straight toward the satyrs.