42. Some Time

CHARLES POV

I wake up in the middle of the night because Elisabeth is nervous next to me. She's screaming and sweating. Looks like she has a nightmare.

E: No, no, no!

I sit up and try to wake her up.

C: Betty, hey, it's me. It's just a dream.

She's still dreaming, turning around from one side to another. I try to wake her up again and pull her into a hug as she's confused.

C: Princess, sh.

She probably needs a moment to realize what's going on. She's shaking on her whole body. What was she dreaming about?

C: You're safe, you're okay. It was just a dream.

She breaths heavily. We lay down again. She puts her head onto my chest, her hands grabs for my arm to hold onto it tight. She calms down while laying in my arms.

Suddenly our door opens and Marcus stands there. He probably heard Elisabeth scream. He gives me a questionable look. I show them everything is fine so he leaves again.

I stroke over her hair while pulling her closer to me. I look out of our window into the forest. There some lights outside but it's mostly dark. I've never notice her dreaming like this before. Is this my fault?

I sit with my back against the wall. Elisabeth is cuddled up in my arms when I notice she felt back asleep. I lay my head back. I close my eyes, not wanting to move to wake her up again.

ELISABETH POV

I wake up the next morning in Charles arms. I look at him sitting confused. What happened last night? I get up and grab one of Charles hoodies. I go over to Grace who's already standing in her crib fully awake with a big smile on her face as she sees me.

G: Mommy.

E: Good morning, baby girl.

I give her a kiss while picking her up. I change her diapers and get her dressed before I want to walk with her downstairs. In the hallway she points to Charles and my bedroom.

G: Daddy!

I show her to be quiet.

E: Sh, daddy is still sleeping. We need to be quiet.

G: Sh?

She also puts her finger on her lips. I need to smile. Can she stop growing up so fast please? I wish we all can be like nothing ever happened between Charles and me. I fight against my tears as I walk to the kitchen with Grace on my arm.

R: Good morning, how are you feeling today?

E: I don't know.

I put Grace in her high chair before I shrug my shoulders.

R: Marcus told me about your nightmare.

E: Nightmare?

I turn confused to Ryan while I was looking for some breakfast in the fridge. He only gives me a nod. I sigh. Did Charles sleep while sitting because I had a nightmare? I don't say anything and only give Grace some breakfast.

R: You should talk with Charles.

E: I know.

I sigh upset, knowing we can only solve this together.

G: Mommy look!

Grace giggles and shows me her finger as she put a raspberry on her finger. I wanted to laugh as Charles walks into the room. He goes to Grace first to give her a good morning kiss.