40. Cheating

It's been a couple of days since we're enjoying our days off in Sweden. We got very close again and I couldn't be happier about it.

At the moment I'm talking with Ryan while sitting on the sofa. I still have a problem which needs to be solved by the time we go back home.

C: Eh, what are you doing?

I turn around and see Charles. He raised an eyebrow. Did he heard something?

E: I- eh, well-

I stutter and go a few inch away from Ryan while he locks his phone quickly.

C: I can't do this anymore. Are you cheating on me, Elisabeth?

E: What are you talking about?

I get confused not understanding what's going on. He throws his phone on my lap.

C: Is it true what the news are writing?

I look over to Ryan confused to see if he knows anything. I notice he doesn't and I start to read the news article. An "insider" is talking about my secret affair with Ryan.

E: Who actually believes this?

I'm annoyed and give Ryan the phone. Why is anyone lying to the world? This can only be Louise. That little insider.

R: Elisabeth is like my little sister, Charles.

He looks to Charles serious.

C: But you're together 24/7, you see each other more than we do.

He raises his voice. I hear panic. He's about to freak out. I kinda feel bad for him being confused but it hurts me more that he thinks I would cheat on him.

G: Mommy!

I sigh.

E: Ryan, could you please give Charles and me a minute and maybe go and help Grace?

R: Of course.

He neck bows. I give him a thankful smile as he leaves the living room.

E: I don't understand why you believe the media instead of trusting me?

C: It's not only the media, Elisabeth! A lot of people are saying that and I see you. I'm not blind.

He starts to walk up and down the room while I still sit on the sofa.

E: And how said that? I love you Charles and if you don't see it that I'm sorry.

I throw my hands. I don't get him. I really don't. He looks liked he was totally fine the past few days, what changed now?

C: Like Louise said that?

E: You're kidding me.

My jaw drops. Sure who else could make something up like this.

C: She's with you all the time. She sees how close you are.

E: Oh okay, I get it. You trust the person who asked you if you're sure that I'm your wife?

I cross my arms showing him that I know about everything. He looks at me confused first before he realizes what I'm talking about.

C: How do you know?

E: Because I asked Ryan to watch Louise, Charles. Because instead of YOU, I see that something is completely wrong here. And you know what-

I don't give him time to answer but I feel my eyes get filled with tears.