29. Two of Us

We arrive at the track. Charles goes over to Ferrari. He was lucky, that Simon didn't make it. I walk through the paddock alone as I already hear Arthur.

A: How can my brother be so lucky?

Carla: Hey!

Carla hits him gently against his arm. How much I missed them. I laugh and hug Carla first.

E: Don't worry my heart belongs to Charles.

I hug the Leclerc Brothers after her. Lorenzo looks at me worried.

L: Are you two okay? We saw the video of you fighting. I called Charles but he doesn't answer or call back.

E: Yes, just me being a bit overdramatic.

I smile. I have to put my feelings to the side to survive this pressure now. I need to protect my family.

L: Okay, good, we need you here.

Lorenzo laughs relived. My fake smiles is getting bigger. Believe me I would love to be somewhere else right now.

A: I never believed in hearing this from you, bro.

Arthur laughs and reminds us all about the rough start I had with Lorenzo. Lorenzo puts an arm around my shoulder happy.

L: Elisabeth proved me wrong. She would do everything to support Charles.

Oh I do. Believe me.

E: Of course, I know how important F1 is.

We all chat for a while before we go over to the Ferrari garage to watch the free practice together. Charles is not doing good and a lot of mistakes.

A: What's wrong with him? He's not focused at all.

I watch him nervously. Not because our fight. We said we will talk about it on Sunday so he can focus but he still can't. I whisper to myself, that he can do it.

Carla: You're not okay, right?

Carla leans over to me, noticing something is wrong with us. Girls intuition? I look at her. I can't help and get teary eyes. I shake my head without saying anything. How long can I keep it a secret? Carla puts her head on my shoulder, trying to be there for me without showing the public something is wrong. I try to breath, getting my teary eyes away.

L: Stay focused man!

Lorenzo yells frustrated as Charles struggles more and more. But it's too late. He hits the wall and crashes.

L: Fuck, no! What the hell is he doing?

He doesn't even care if Charles is fine. Nice, brother. Carla squeezes my hand, knowing I think this is all my fault. Lorenzo goes over to Fred to ask if Charles is okay. He is.

E: I'm sorry Lorenzo. I really try to keep everything away of him. I don't know what else I should do to help him.

I feel guilty. I shouldn't to be honest, but I do. I promised him he can life his dream but he also promised me to never be mad of the royalty.

A: How about you and Charles are coming over to us tonight?

He looks to Carla. Does he know? Did he heard us?

Carla: I think that would be awesome. Like the good old times. We miss you too in the apartment!

E: It's not just the two of us anymore.

A: Well that's why you have a nanny, right? Why not using her now?

Seriously, I don't know. I hesitate to say yes to his. I don't trust my nanny anymore. That's bad. But I can't help it. I can't look for a new one at the moment. Maybe it would be good for Charles to be out of the palace walls.

E: I really don't know...

Carla: It's okay to spent some quality time without your baby. You also need it.

L: I think that would be a great idea. The media is putting a lot of pressure on Charles.

E: Okay, fine. I'll call my mom to take Grace tonight. But don't tell anyone or the media is saying I'm a bad mom.

*******

After all of the practice season ends, Charles and I are in the car to drive to Arthur and Carla but he doesn't know. But he notices as he's looking out of the window.

C: Where are we going?

E: Surprise.

I smile. I try to be relaxed to enjoy the next hours of your normal life. Going back to the first time we met. Just the two of us, not pressure, no royalty. Mom luckily was happy with that idea and takes care of Grace. She loves her grandmom, so it should be okay for our baby girl.

C: Ah, c'mon tell me.

Charles laughs. I grin and try not to laugh.

E: You know I've practiced my patience with our daughter. I won't give in.

C: Point to you.

We both laugh but we're already there and Charles realizes where we are going already.

C: No way, Arthur's?

E: We could stay overnight if you want. Maybe it helps you to focus again.

I see his eyes are shining and he's very happy he's here. Looks like a perfect idea. He pulls me into a happy kiss.

C: Why are you so awesome, princess? Thank you!

I smile. This is gonna be a good night.

***************

What a surprise! Is this night gonna help them get closer together?

I hope you like this book. xx