16. Meant to be

The next day I'm waiting with Charles in the office of my Dad. He asked for a family meeting.

Surprise.

Not.

I still can't believe this is gonna happen now. Simon is walking inside with Madeline. We hug us to say hi.

E: Hey, do you know why Dad want us here?

S: Probably because of the royal dinner next week.

He has no clue or he's lying. I give Charles a glance. He only takes my hand and we both sit down as my parents are walking inside.

KG: Good morning, let's talk about next weekend. But first of all, good race Charles. Welcome back in Monaco.

C: Oh, thanks again for watching, George.

Charles looks to me. I squeeze his hand with a soft smile. Gary is walking in and tells us all the details of the dinner.

KG: Thanks Gary, is there is no other questions, I need to talk to you. The next thing is not discussable.

I watch how my mom gets very nervous. It's time. He's gonna tell us now. My dad takes my moms hand.

KG: I've decided that I'll step back as king. Simon, you're gonna be the next king of Monaco. I'll make the announcement at the dinner.

S: Wait, when?

Simon looks confused and shocked. He really had no idea. I look to Charles who shrugs.

KG: With my 60th birthday in August. Elisabeth, don't freak out. You're gonna be okay. I did everything for you, Charles and Grace to be prepared for this.

I look down. I had a few days to think about this already. I know I can't change my dads mind and at the end I'm still the princess. I was born for this and so was Simon. He got prepared to be the king his whole life.

S: Charles and Elisabeth don't want Grace to be on public. If she's gonna be the crown princess now, the media will follow every step.

KG: It's not the I decided this a few days ago. I planned that for year. I prepared Charles for this with Chris. He had to learn fast and he did.

My jaw drops as I realize something. This can't be true.

E: Wait, is that why you wanted me to marry so fast? Why you always looked for a man for me? Why Charles was not good enough? So that YOU can step back?

KG: Yes, that's why I wanted you to have a man out of the royalty. But Charles proofed himself. He did very good this year.

E: That's so selfish. I can't believe you.

I shake my head in shock. It all makes sense now. It was always about him. I see my dad is still looking at me before he turns to Simon.

KG: The coronation is gonna be this summer. The date is set in August.

S: Sure, I'm mean that's why I'm here. To be the next king, right?

Simon starts to laugh nervously. Madeline is going over to him, trying to relax him.

M: You're gonna be an amazing king.

I also stand up to hug him.

E: Come here big brother.

S: I promise you, I had no idea about this all the time. Never. I got suspicious why Charles got Chris as assistant but I don't know. I'm sorry.

He whispers so only I can hear it. I sigh. It's gonna be okay. I don't blame him.