TILL DEATH DO US PART

CHAPTER 9: TILL DEATH DO US PART

NEXT WEEK SATURDAY 6:30 PM

Jake's POV

The time has come. I walk to the venue being weary of people around me. As I near the gate, a security guard stops me.
"Hello. Welcome to the wedding. What's your name?"
"Uh-" It's then when I realise I wasn't invited. "Miyah Jones." I feel so stupid, but it was the first name that I thought of. The security guard doesn't notice. "Your name is on the guest list. Go up and turn right into the chapel." He says. I slide past him and follow his directions. I enter the church and instantly I'm blinded by the stench of sunflowers, strawberries and lemon grass. I plug my nose and scan my surroundings. I see the pews, and rose petals are scattered all over the floor. Ugh. IT'S MY WORSE NIGHTMARE COME TRUE. I hide my face in my signature poncho and sit in the back row of the pews where no one can see me. More people arrive and the seats get more and more filled up. That's when I spot a weird person. She's wearing a Gucci ripoff dress, scowling and scrolling through her phone. I glance up and see her sitting in a comfy seat with writing on it that reads 'PLUS ONE'. I'm about to stand up to check who she is when the wedding starts. Everyone turns their heads to look at the back as Alison walks down the aisle with her father. Her hair is flowing, her dress is looking mighty smegcy, and her makeup is super hot. Every boy in the aisle starts drooling, even....PRINCIPAL SPORTS!?!?? I gape. WHAT IS HE DOING HERE? He must be at least 1000 years old.

"I thought he would be dead by now." One girl whispers to her friend. The thought is interrupted by a loud applause as Alison joins everyone else on the stage. I look back at the front of the stage and notice Thomas standing there. He has a ridiculously ugly looking bandage on his nose from when I beat him up. He smile and wipes invisible tears from his eyes. The crowd cheers. I scoff and slump in my seat, folding my arms.
"Dear friends and family, we are gathered here today to witness and celebrate the union of Thomas Emerald and Alison Badonka-Honka in marriage. In the years they have been together, their love and understanding of each other has grown and matured, and now they have decided to live their lives together as husband and wife." The priest recites. Everyone applauds. "No other human ties are more tender, and no other vows more important, than those you are about to take. Both of you come to this day with the deep realization that the contract of marriage is sacred and binding, as are all of its obligations and responsibilities. You will leave here embracing one of the greatest human bonds that life has to offer. May your shared life be adorned with the blossoms of love, and your days together be many and rewarding." He continues. Alison beams with happiness and I wonder if she really is happier with Thomas. I shake the thought from my head.

"No, Alison loves me. I'll make her love me" I whisper.

"Now let's start the vows. The bride and groom have decided to recite their own personal vows." The priest nods at Thomas.

"I pledge to you endless strength that you can count on when you are weak. I'll be your music when you can't hear, your sunshine when you can't see, or your perfume when you can't smell. You'll never need to look further than me. I'll be your days and nights when you need them filled, your spark of life in the darkness, your hope when you're down and out." Thomas giggles. I feel sick. Who does he think he is stealing my girlfriend? I ball my fists up, blood streaming from where my fingernails dug into my skin. Alison steps forward, looking into Thomas' eyes.

"In the presence of our family and friends, I offer you my solemn vow to be your faithful partner in sickness and in health, in good times and in bad, and in joy as well as in sorrow. I promise to love you unconditionally, to support you in your goals, to honour and respect you, to laugh with you and cry with you, and to cherish you for as long as we both shall live." She smiles. The priest flips a page in his book.

"We will now exchange the rings. Will the ring bearer please step up?" A little boy stands with a pillow and carries it to the stage. The priest takes it and Thomas grabs one of the rings. He puts it on Alison's hand and speaks:

"I give you this ring as a symbol of my love for you. Let it be a reminder that I am always by your side and that I will always be a faithful partner to you." Alison picks up a ring, puts it on Thomas' finger and says:

"I give you this ring as a symbol of my love and faithfulness. As I place it on your finger, I commit my heart and soul to you. I ask you to wear this ring as a reminder of the vows we have spoken today, our wedding day." The priest smiles and flips a page again. Argh. THIS IS SOOOOOO BAD. I cringe as everyone starts clapping and hooting.

"If anyone thinks that these two should not be wed, speak now or forever hold your peace" Alison looks around worriedly. Now's my chance. I stand up and lift my hand.

"I OBJECT" My voice echoes as I hear another voice speak at the same time. I look around and spot the girl in the PLUS ONE chair. She has also stood up but now I can see her face clearly. IS THAT MIYAH?!??!?!?! WHAT THE BADONKAS?

"WHAT THE HECK?? MIYAH? JAAAAKE??!!" Shrieks Alison. "NOOOO MY WEDDING IS RUUUUINEEEDD" People around us start mumbling to themselves. One girl starts crying. Thomas stares at my face and it's like he saw a ghost. He goes white. Even whiter than Alison. (which is an achievement) I see him start to breathe faster and he faints. His legs crumple out behind him and he falls off the stage. There's a thump as he lands on a woman's lap. She screams and stands up, causing Thomas to fly off the chairs, and fall to the floor with a bang. He lies there, motionless.

Alison gasps. "THOMAS!" She flings herself off the stage and runs to the ground. Everyone else stands up and runs towards Thomas. People are screaming and running around, knocking over the pews and pillars. The security guards come barrelling toward the stage. Little does Thomas know that he has created the perfect distraction for me. I run away, towards the AAkitchen. Chefs turn to look at me as I barge through the door.

"H-hi. Sorry." I mumble as I squeeze past workers. I bend down to collect a few cans and put them in my pocket. I stand up and bump into someone. I gulp, and slowly lift my head. The head cook looms over me, a rolling pin in his hand.
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE? YOU ARE NOT A COOK." He booms in an Italian accent. He twiddles with his mustachio.

"Ss-s-s-s-s-sorry." I mumble. "I was just- um, you know what, never mind. I'll just leave." I begin to walk out. I'm just grabbing the door handle when he interrupts me.

"WAIT. YOU ARE JAKE PISSBABY, NON?!?!?" He shrieks. My eyes widen and I start running. The man screams in Italian and I burst out of the back door of the kitchen, the light burning my eyes. Looking back at the stage, I see Thomas sitting up and rubbing his bandaged nose. Alison hands him some water and ruffles his gelled hair. I growl at their affection.

''HEYY!! PISSBABY!" The cook yells. Frightened, I turn around. "DO NOT WORRY. WE ARE ON YOUR SIDE." I glance at his name tag which reads MARIO. "ALISON FORCED US TO COOK HER FOOD. WE DON'T LIKE ESCARGOT AND STUPID LITTLE CAKES" He booms. ''YOU LOOKING FOR REVENGE? WE GIVE YOU REVENGE. WHAT DO YOU WANT US TO DO?" He whispers unsuccessfully, flexing his beefy arms.

"Actually," I tell him. "I have a plan myself." I look around for Miyah, but I can't seem to find her. I run forward when someone bumps into me. I fall backward and look up. Miyah holds her hand in front of me and helps me up. I stare at her and she doesn't say anything. Then, just like before, we both speak in unison, our voices echoing.

"I need your help..."