NEW BEGINNINGS

CHAPTER 1- NEW BEGINNINGS

MONDAY, 2:00 PM

Miyah's POV

I hear the thump of about 1000 papers fall by my side. I look up and see my boss, Mr. Beeseet-Cheese towering over me.

"I need these papers to be done by tomorrow" He tells me. I use my thumb and index finger to skim through the paperwork and I frown.

"Aren't these the papers that Jessie was supposed to do 1 month ago? Why haven't these been filled out?" I ask. He wacks the back of my head.

"She's on vacation, now stop sitting around and doing nothing. GET TO WORK" Mr. Beeseet-Cheese swivels around on his heels and walks away. I've always been scared of him even though he's about 6 months younger than me. It was a nightmare trying to find a good job due to my criminal record. I couldn't afford to go to college. This was the only job offering that was close to home, and there were no qualifications needed. I hate the job, but it pays well so I don't complain. I end up spending the next 3 hours trying to finish the work and put it on my boss's desk. After I had done that, I walk to over my hotel room, turn the key in my lock and fall flat on my bed, tired. I end up sleeping in my work clothes and I wake up feeling sticky and groggy. I wash myself in my very small shower and try to use as little shampoo as possible. I don't have many things, not after my mom disowned me after my trial. I barely survived, relying on the money Karen left me. I sigh. Karen, I miss her. If she hadn't gone, I wouldn't be here. But then, it was kind of my fault. Kind of. That's what I try to tell myself every day, but I still feel guilty for her death. I just sit on the rickety chair by the desk and sob. I'm interrupted with a loud noise as I hear my neighbour, Lynn bang on the wall.

"I'M TRYING TO SLEEP, SHUT UP" she yells. I stop to wipe my eyes, and fall into my bed. I think about the past, when my biggest worry was trying to impress boys and finish my homework on time. And that stupid Justin Bieber obsession that I eventually got over. The nostalgia hits me like a punch to the stomach, and I fall into another round of uncontrollable sobbing. My heart feels heavy in my chest, a pain that will never go away, a wound that will never heal. It reminds me of a quote I heard once. Time will heal all wounds, but it does not erase the scars. Jake might still be in jail, but I will never forget what he did to me. It's because of him that I'm living this miserable life, barely scraping by. That day at court where he muttered the unforgivable words that will forever be etched into my mind.

"And I wish I never met you..."