NEWER BEGINNINGS

CHAPTER 3- NEWER BEGINNINGS

WEDNESDAY, 5:00 AM

Jake's POV

I sneak around the city with my hood covering my prison clothes and face. People stare at me and I quickly speed walk out of their view. I walk over to my mother's house, who I haven't seen in 10 years. I walk up the stairs and knock on the door. I hear her footsteps walk toward me and the door swings open. She looks up at me confused. I take my hood off and she gasps.

"Ma...It's me" I say softly. She just looks me up and down with her mouth wide open. I just walk inside, pulling her in with me. The door shuts behind us and I sit on the living room couch. Everything looks just as I remember it, the mouldy chairs, the gross mustard coloured carpet and the green peeling wallpaper. My mum walks to me and puts my head in her hands.

"It's really you! You look so grown up..." She tears up "I'm sorry I wasn't there for you" I sigh

"Ma, I was in jail remember?" I tell her. She recoils.

"Wait... you broke out! Jakey, you're a fugitive!" Her face is as pale as a ghost. "I thought your sentence was for 30 years!"
"Yeah, about that." I mumble. "I need you to hide me here" I pled. She shakes her head.

"I can't...I have to call the police" she reaches for the house phone, but I stop her by grabbing her hand and twisting her around. I hold a knife by her neck and she breaths slowly.

"I said hide me here. OR ELSE. I don't want to have to do this to you Ma. Why don't you help your son?" I growl. She just stares with her eyes wide open and shakes her head.

"Good." I whisper. "Now promise me you'll never report me."

"I promise..." she repeats shakily. I remove the knife from her neck and walk to my old abandoned room. Everything is just as I left it. The messy bed, posters all around, even that one hole I punched in the wall still hasn't been fixed. The only difference is the cobwebs that engulf each corner. I walk to my closet and open it. The clothes in there are way too small for me now, but that's not what I'm looking for. I take a small shoe box from the top of the shelf and sit on my bed. I blow the dust off and cough, opening it up. Inside, lay a bunch of polaroid pictures of Miyah when we were younger. I take one out and turn it around in my hand. I rip it up in a million pieces and repeat the process for the others until there's none left. The anger in me wells up inside and I punch my wall, making another hole.

"I'm gonna make her pay. And suffer for what she did to me" I vow.