Chapter Forty: Jack's POV

Eight years later...

"You know you really should bring a date who's not your little brother to an event at some point. Like any event," Kyle jokes, bumping me with his arm.

"You know you're my best friend," I say with a smile.

"You're lame," Kyle says. "You may be a pro football player but you're still a giant nerd."

I roll my eyes and don't bother replying. We have a variation of this conversation every event I drag him along to. He acts like he doesn't like coming, but I know my little brother loves the attention he gets as my plus one. He might not have dreams for the spotlight, but being the little brother to a famous football player definitely has its perks.

"Who do you think the musical act is?" Kyle asks.

"I don't know," I shrug. "They've kept it really hush hush this year. Must be someone big, right?"

"Or they didn't find someone soon enough and have kept it quiet so anyone can fill the spot," my pragmatic brother offers.

"You take all the fun out of things."
"And yet you still bring me."

I open my mouth and then shut it. He has a point.

I don't really care about who's playing so we're two of the last people into the room with the stage after dinner is done.

The lights dim and the familiar strum of music starts up.

"Is this..." Kyle asks, turning to me in shock.

I'm already pushing my way through the crowd, trying to make it to the stage before she arrives onstage.

I've just pushed the last person out of my way when Sarah steps onto the stage, smiling widely. I stare at her, taking her in. Of course, I've kept up with her return to Hollywood and career over the last eight years, but I haven't seen her since I walked out of her hospital room when we were teenagers.

She looks even more beautiful than I remember. Her hair is a soft brown, a nice in between of her childhood blonde and the dark hair she'd had when she'd been Emily. It's longer now, but she still has the bangs which I'd adored. They were less blunt and framed her face better now.

I'd always thought she was beautiful – from the first moment I'd laid eyes on her I'd been in love with her. Any feelings for Bethany had evaporated the moment Emily – Sarah – had walked into my life.

Walking away from her in the hospital was the hardest thing I'd ever done. I'd wanted to beg her to stay. Part of me wonders if she would have, if I'd asked. We'd never dated, and I'd never told her how I felt about her, but I'm pretty sure she knew.

If she stayed, I wanted her to stay for her, and not because I asked. I hadn't asked, and she hadn't stayed, and I'd dealt with the overwhelming sense of loss I'd felt. It'd taken years, but eventually I'd accepted that Sarah was never meant to be a permanent part of my life.

She lived a whole different life in Hollywood and had become an insanely successful musician in her own right. I'm not surprised; she had always been a talented songwriter. Working with her in our music class had been eye-opening. While I enjoyed music, it seemed to flow through her. She seemed to breathe it.

When high school ended, I'd gone off to college where I played football until I graduated, and then I joined the NFL. Despite being a fan favorite, our paths had never crossed, at least until tonight.

I stare up at her, waiting for her to see me. I don't know what I want to happen – do I want her to see me, or do I want her to miss me in the crowd? Which would be better for her?