fourteen.

❦

turns out that Choi Jiwoo transferred to their school the day after.

she and Jungwon were inseparable.

every second, every minute, every hour, every day.

they were together, laughing.

heartbroken, Nali tried to approach them, but got brushed off by Jiwoo quickly with an apologetic smile from Jungwon. 

in math class, she would throw a paper plane, aiming the back of Jungwon's head, hoping that he would notice, or even glance at her.

but he didn't.

what went wrong from their friendship? she thought.

and so, she spent most of her time with Sunghoon and Heeseung, the only other two single friends in the entire group.

Iseul and Sunoo were together, always chatting and giggling silently in the back of the classroom. they were so happy together.

meanwhile, Jina and Jake were near the front of the classroom, debating intensely over problem after problem with determined smiles on their faces. they were so similar to each other, personality-wise and interest-wise, that it was no surprise that they got together.

Niki and Reina were the same. with both of them being the dance captains of the school dance team and knowing each other from Japan, they were always together, during school and after school.

although Yunhee was in the grade below them, Jay dashed out of the classroom right after the bell rang to see his girlfriend, leaving behind everyone else.

and Jungwon and Jiwoo were near the side of the room, always smiling and beaming at each other.

"you're jealous, Nali," Sunghoon pointed out as he comforted the girl, lightly patting her on the back to sooth her.

Nali sniffed lightly, tears threatening to fall down her face, "why didn't I tell him sooner that I liked him—"

"hey hey," Heeseung assured, "you were scared, it's a human feeling, so don't feel bad about yourself. there's just something wrong with Jungwon."

"thanks for always being there for me," Nali whispered with gratitude, "even when I wasn't there for you."

"that's what close friends are for," Sunghoon smiled.

Without Nali, Jungwon felt so lonely and unhappy. Jiwoo wasn't the same. Sure, she was a nice girl and he has known her for a long time, but she did not compare to Nali.

But he knew he couldn't break the promise he made to his parents.

"Jungwon, you cannot hang out with Bae Nali anymore," Jungwon's mother sternly told her son when she returned from her business trip with Jungwon's father.

"Eomma, why?" Jungwon asked, his eyes glaring with fury, "you aren't already home for me for more than 2/3 of the year, why should I listen to you?"

"you are to marry Choi Jiwoo, your taekwondo teammate. she is wealthy and well-educated," Jungwon's father said.

Jungwon shook his head, "I don't want to, Appa, Eomma."

"if you don't marry her, your position as the head of the Yang Industries is off," Jungwon's father warned.

Jungwon's eyes widened. His dream was to take over the industry someday.

With his parents' pressured glare, Jungwon muttered an "alright."

things are gonna go downhill real fast ;)

Clarisse