five.

❦

"Nali?" Jungwon asked softly.

When the boy got to their room later in the evening, he found the girl crouched on the floor and leaning against her bed with her head down. Her choked sobs echoed the room as her arms were wrapped tightly around her body, making her look like a ball.

"Nali, I'm here," Jungwon whispered as he crouched down and sat next to the girl, hugging her in his embrace.

When Nali looked up at Jungwon, her eyes were red and baggy, her cheeks were glistening with tears.

But Jungwon did not question why Nali was breaking down. He hugged her tightly, letting her know that he was there for her, at that even if her life was crumbling down, he would always be there.

Finally, Nali composed herself a bit as she spoke, "m-m-my Eomma's d-dead."

Jungwon's eyes widened as he saw the girl cry again, something clutching tightly in her clenched fist.

"why--w-why am I so weak?" Nali muttered, "I-I can't even accept that my Eomma's dead."

"Nali," Jungwon said, "your Eomma's looking up from heaven with pride. She's proud of the person you've became, and she will always be there for you, even if she is only there in your heart and brain."

"J-Jungwon," Nali buried her head into Jungwon's chest, "she promised. She promised that she'll be there."

"for what?" Jungwon asked softly.

"my wedding," Nali bursted out in tears, "she said that she hopes I won't end up as a single cat lady."

"maybe someday you'll find your man," Jungwon assured.

"maybe," Nali said, smiling a little bit, "I hope to find a man that's like you, whose always there for me."

Then will you take me? Jungwon thought sadly, will you ever notice me as more than your best friend?

"you deserve the whole entire world," Jungwon beamed, his adorable dimples showing.

Chuckling softly, Nali reached out both of her hands to pinch them, "want to go explore Jeju a bit more tomorrow?"

"of course," Jungwon smiled.

"let's go to the Hamdeok Beach!" Jungwon pointed at the location on his phone.

"sure," Nali smiled.

"wait wait, whose going to Hamdeok Beach?" Jay and Yunhee entered the room with interlocked hands.

"look, it's Jayhee!" Nali exclaimed, "me and Jungwon are deciding to go to the beach."