122 - The French Colonial Empire's Upheaval - 5

The seizure of Lhasa by Tibetan independence forces symbolized China's loss of the southeastern region of Tibet. While many Han Chinese had settled in Tibet seeking not only refuge but also business opportunities, upon seeing the Tibetan independence flag flying in Lhasa, many of them retreated like the tide when they sensed the danger.

Tibet's security hadn't collapsed, nor had there been an increase in unwarranted violence or persecution, but Han Chinese, accustomed to ethnic conflicts, had a heightened ability to sense danger, thus prompting their actions. If there had been more Han Chinese in Tibet, there might have been other options, such as anti-Tibetan struggles. However, there weren't as many Han Chinese in Tibet at the time. Moreover, while the Chinese police apparatus in southeastern Tibet hadn't been actively attacked by Tibetan independence forces, many of its members had left their posts, rendering it dysfunctional.

Furthermore, the governing/administrative apparatus had collapsed as its leaders fled first. Facing a disadvantage in the war with the United States, or perhaps due to a series of continuous defeats in previous wars with foreigners, Han Chinese had developed a tendency to flee in their hearts. As a result, not only did the Tibetan independence movement progress swiftly, but even Japan, which supported it, found Tibet's return to its rightful owner happening at an unexpected pace.

In response, Japan hurriedly proceeded with Tibet's declaration of independence, recognition as a nation, and preparation for joining the League of Nations. In addition to proposing a fight against China, Japan suggested maintaining security and administration in Tibet. As a result, the offensive of the Tibetan independence forces ceased, giving China valuable time to regroup its forces. *1

The Chinese expeditionary force, relieved by the cessation of the Tibetan independence forces' offensive, sought to use this period of ceasefire to prepare for a counterattack. They gathered weapons, ammunition, and provisions and deployed personnel. Even if they were inferior in terms of training and armament, they calculated that with a difference of nearly two digits in the number of troops, they could win by sheer force. However, politics did not permit it.

The Tibetan independence forces held a military ceremony (parade) at the Potala Palace in Lhasa and declared Tibet's independence, prompting the Chinese government to order a resolute offensive.

. . .

The Aftermath of the Tibetan Declaration of Independence

Viewing Tibet as a national liberation movement from elsewhere, it seemed as if the impoverished people (the Tibetans) from a remote corner of Asia had achieved a remarkable victory (giant-killing) by standing up against the powerful nation *2 of China.

Of course, for those well-educated people who knew the details of the Tibetan independence movement, it was easy to imagine that there were some great powers somewhere behind the Tibetan independence movement, providing weapons, ammunition, and funding. Nevertheless, it was the Tibetans who shed blood and fought. It was only natural to respect their efforts. And a very small number of people, separate from that, thought that if the people of Tibet, who were Asians, could do it, then perhaps they themselves could too.

These very few people were from the French colonies in Africa, where Germany had previously ignited national consciousness.

. . .

Africa: French Colonies

In the late 1930s, Germany devised a plan to sow chaos in France by distributing weapons to French colonies (overseas departments). Naturally, this was to incite independence movements in the colonies. Encouraging independence movements in the colonies would not only deplete France's national strength in suppressing them but also lead to an overall weakening of France's power due to the stagnation of economic activities in the colonies, resulting in a win-win (delicious) strategy.