084 - China Upheaval - 3

In the declaration of independence by South China, the Chinese government found itself in a state of panic. South China, which only had a relatively small army that could be easily crushed with the deployment of just three divisions, found itself in a fortunate timing. The Chinese government forces were mobilizing their main strength to overthrow the Chinese Communist Party, and except for the two divisions guarding the capital, Nanjing, the remaining forces in the soft underbelly of the Chinese southern coastal region could be described as lightly armed security units. Moreover, even if they were gathered together, their numbers did not amount to a full division. Immediate suppression was a difficult situation.

However, it couldn't be ignored. The police forces continued to suffer defeats, and several cities had already fallen under the control of South China. The soldiers who had survived battles in French Indochina, thanks to the education provided by downtime Japanese officers, had become a formidable force. The Chinese government's main forces, with German-style education and equipment, might have posed a challenge, but the units primarily responsible for maintaining order, without proper training or equipment, were not expected to offer any resistance.

The intensity of their territorial expansion was evident when they took control of the coastal areas facing the South China Sea within just a month. While the Chinese government hoped for political and diplomatic complications to arise, expecting conflicts between South China and cities like Guangzhouwan (French) and Hong Kong (British), the control of the areas around these cities by South China did not lead to any significant trouble.

South China, while advocating the Pan-Asianism ideology with great fervor, also understood the concept of boundaries. At least for now, they realized they couldn't win. Therefore, the Chinese government had no choice but to deal with South China on its own, at least for the time being. They rushed to conscript and build an army, managing to create an army of 100.000 within three months.

This was an army that received no training, had outdated equipment, and even lacked proper uniforms; it was a pre-modern military force. Nevertheless, it was an army of 100.000 soldiers. In addition to this, they formed an enormous army to suppress South China by adding 100.000 elite troops drawn from the CCP suppression forces, totaling 200.000.

The Chinese government did not underestimate South China. No, it was not so much fear of South China as it was an awareness of the fragility of their own foundation. The fear of the revolutionary upheaval that had become popular among the Chinese population and the growing resentment towards the Chinese government had led to the decision to suppress them with full force while the flames of rebellion were still small.

. . .

South China Suppression Campaign

The Chinese government, eager to swiftly suppress South China, issued strict orders to the commanders of the suppression forces for immediate action. As a result, the suppression forces embarked on their mission with inadequate training. However, the advance did not go smoothly. The supplies, including food, were prioritized for the CCP suppression forces, and requisitioning from villages along the route faced significant resistance due to the backlash against the Chinese government. As a result, some commanders declared it an emergency measure and resorted to forced conscription, which further fueled resentment among the villages.

No.

It wasn't just the South China Suppression Army that was facing difficulties; it was the loss of support for the Chinese government. The 200.000 soldiers keenly felt the glare of the people in the cities and villages they passed through. In contrast, the South Chinese forces, despite their lack of heavy equipment, were motivated beyond measure. They prepared for battle with the cooperation of the local population. As time passed, volunteers flocked to their ranks, and their total strength far exceeded 80.000. Although they did not resemble modern armies, their hearts burned with a desire for the great revival of China.