101 - China Upheaval - 19

Since ancient times, battles, and even decisive battles, were only established when both sides made the decision to fight. This is because it is possible to avoid it. However, the battles north of the Yellow River were not like that.

Based on military rationality, it was the United States that wanted to avoid combat. However, the military of a democratic nation cannot help but prioritize politics, public opinion, or justice over military rationality. Therefore, the United States had to face China's offensive head-on in order to protect the people of southern Mongolia. And thus, the US and China began their full-scale clash in the Second Hebei Campaign.

. . .

Second Hebei Campaign: Eastern Front (D-Day+

In the Second Hebei Campaign, the responsibility for the first offensive under Operation Wedge fell upon the 1st Northern Expeditionary Army Group. *1 Consisting of three armies and twenty-four divisions, totaling over 400.000 troops, they began their advance upon receiving orders. The objective of the first offensive was to encircle and annihilate the 2nd Army *2 of the East Eurasian Army Group. The plan was to launch a frontal assault and destroy them. The reason for not attempting encirclement and annihilation tactics was the relatively small size of the 2nd Army.

At this point, the Northern Expeditionary Command's headquarters had gathered intelligence through ongoing reconnaissance and spy activities, revealing that among the 2nd Army, it was the 2nd Corps on the front lines. Their forces hadn't fully recovered from the losses suffered in the First Hebei Campaign, with less than 40.000 troops remaining (3 divisions). The purpose of the first offensive was to disrupt and surround the main force of the East Eurasian Army Group, the 1st Army.

Due to its highly mechanized composition, the combat effectiveness of the 1st Army would significantly diminish in the event of disrupted supply lines. Therefore, the final destination for the 1st Northern Expeditionary Army Group was set at the border region of Mongolia.

The headquarters of the 2nd Corps of the East Eurasian Army Group, upon realizing the imminent approach of a force nearly ten times their own, were exposed to the anticipated shock. Words such as "human tsunami" were exchanged. However, as this attack was anticipated, there was no occurrence of a deterioration in the decision-making of the headquarters due to the shock.

At the same time, the morale of the Korean-Japanese troops who were constructing defense lines on the front remained intact. This was due to the conveyed message of overflowing patriotism and the knowledge that their homeland was extending its support. Two additional divisions, the 202nd and 204th Mechanized Divisions of the Republic of Korea, had advanced through Frontier Republic territory and were positioned to join imminently. Furthermore, the reinforcement of the 23rd Corps to a supporting position was a significant boost. Thus, the headquarters of the 2nd Corps decided to first attempt to sustain themselves as long as possible at their current location in the face of China's offensive. Their intention was to bleed out the 1st Northern Expeditionary Army Group of the Chinese.

Moreover, the 21st Corps, in cooperation with the 12th Corps of the 1st Army, was tasked with the urgent elimination of the still-active Chinese 1st Cavalry Division. The 1st Cavalry Division was cautious, often moving in groups of fewer than ten to blend in with local civilians, and avoided consecutive attacks to make it difficult for the East Eurasian Army Group to ascertain their location.

Thus, while casualties were on a downward trend, their complete annihilation was taking time. Therefore, the plan was to deploy the 21st and 12th Corps, recruit volunteer militias locally, and concentrate on receiving aerial support from Japan to seal off their movements.

. . .

Second Hebei Campaign: Western Front (D-Day+

The demand placed upon the 2nd Northern Expeditionary Army Group *3 of the Northern Expeditionary Command was to exert pressure on and restrain the 1st Army *4 of the East Eurasian Army Group across the entire area extending from central to western South Mongolia, utilizing its mobility. Specifically instructed was to refrain from launching aggressive offensives but to primarily engage in long-range artillery duels to induce fuel and ammunition wastage. A full-scale offensive was to be launched only after the effectiveness of rear blocking by the 1st Army Group's full-scale offensive had been established.