083 - China Upheaval - 2

Japan, upon learning of the uprising by the Pan-Asianists who sought to intervene in the brewing conflict between the Chinese government and the Chinese Communist Party, clapped their hands in joy. Their beloved China was seeking an opportunity to increase its numbers, they said. There was no reason not to be delighted.

In their jubilation, Japan decided to provide support.

However, since it was not a publicity stunt, they decided not to overtly declare their goodwill. To ensure that Japan's support remained hidden, it was decided to carry it out quietly. Specifically, they created a paper company in the Siberian Republic, with the president claiming that he had a grudge against the CCP because he had been mistreated by the Soviet Union and also because he disliked the interference of the Chinese government in business.

They decided to send surplus Soviet-made weapons and ammunition that had been stacked in warehouses, deemed too wasteful to be discarded, by updating them to Japanese-made equipment for the Siberian Republic's military during the Siberian War of Independence. To make the cover story believable, it was orchestrated with meticulous care, involving Russian-Japanese individuals.

Even the Chinese were easily deceived by this elaborate ruse.

. . .

G4

Japan's beloved China's population growth plan was discussed as a preliminary step at a secret meeting (off-the-record) of the G4 liaison committee. While it was anticipated that China would ultimately splinter and weaken, there was an expectation of accelerated conflict in the short term. It was only natural to reach out to the United States, Britain, and France, who had interests in China. In particular, France was currently engaged in active combat in French Indochina with the Pan-Asianists, whom they planned to support, adding a level of complexity to the situation.

France, however, responded that as long as the Pan-Asianists did not return with weapons to French Indochina, there would be no problem. Furthermore, Japan argued that they should actively cooperate with France to ensure that they did not return. As a quid pro quo for their support, Japan agreed to allow the use of the port in the French Leased Territory of Guangzhouwan, which borders China, as a place to land weapons for the Pan-Asianists. Border surveillance in French Indochina involved cracking down on the movement of people and goods (smuggling) that bypassed major roads and immigration checkpoints.

To enhance this surveillance, Japan decided to deploy state-of-the-art aircraft – based on the passenger aircraft developed by TAI (Toyota Aircraft Industries) *1 for export – equipped with radar, various sensors, and communication devices. These aircraft were designated P-4 ground surveillance planes.

However, to avoid potential political scrutiny in the Japanese parliament if they deployed them directly, the Japanese government decided to handle it through a PMSC (Private Military and Security Company) under the guise of the Japanese Combined Armed Forces subcontracting organization for military operations.

With great caution, they established SMS (Suzuki & Marie Special Services) based in the relatively secretive Republic of Guam to handle Japan's unofficial and classified military operations. SMS then deployed P-4P (civilian variant) units to Guangzhouwan for border surveillance in French Indochina. In conjunction with the establishment of SMS, Japan also decided to establish a covert special operations unit (Underground Unit) with advice from the USFJ to assist with Japan's undisclosed special military operations. This unit was named the Special Intelligence Unit (Omega). Externally, it was presented as SMS's security unit, and its base was located on the discreetly maintained Guam.

Britain and the US had no reason to deny Japan's actions regarding support for South China, so they affirmed them. However, the US also expressed interest in Japan's deployment of P-4 ground surveillance planes to the French Indochina border region. While the airborne surveillance in the Frontier Republic's border region relied on crew visual observation, the P-4 ground surveillance planes had advanced surveillance capabilities, including ground radar and sensors. It was only natural for the US to show interest.