071 - Japanese Federation - 2

The form of a unified Japanese Federation military is nearing completion. As a fundamental defense strategy, the Soviet Union is designated as the main adversary, and the primary mission is the defense of the Siberian Republic, which is the driving force of vitality for the Japanese economy. The doctrine of this military strategy emphasizes the efficient deployment of combat power by networked units and the neutralization of enemy forces by targeting enemy command centers. This outcome stems from the consideration of how to thwart the Soviet offensive with small-scale units in a war where numerical disadvantages are anticipated.

The challenge lies in the disparity of training between the Self-Defense Forces and the relatively young militaries of the states. Consequently, the training of units facing the Soviet Union in Siberia was conducted urgently. Furthermore, in the case of ground forces, heavy equipment such as tanks, armored vehicles, and specialized artillery (field guns) were emphasized to compensate for numerical disadvantages.

. . .

Japanese Combined Armed Forces

Under the command of four general headquarters, the SDF and seven states' military units are operated in an integrated manner. Even units primarily tasked with ground attack within the aviation forces are incorporated into this structure. Units primarily focused on air defense are consolidated into three air defense regional commands. Maritime forces are divided into mobile operational units and security units under the management of each joint command, and they are operated accordingly.

Japanese General Army (Tokyo)

Responsible for the defense of the Japanese archipelago. It also has a reserve role for other units.

- Northern Area Command (Sapporo): It is in charge of the rear of the Siberian Theater Command and the Northernmost Area Command.

-- 2nd Mechanized Division (Japan – Hokkaidō)

-- 7th Armored Division (Japan – Hokkaidō)

-- 11th Motorized Division (Japan – Hokkaidō)

- Eastern Area Command (Tokyo): Responsible for the defense of Tokyo and the eastern part of Honshū.

-- 1st Division (Japan – Tokyo)

-- 6th Motorized Division (Japan – Tōhoku)

-- Eastern Readiness Brigade (Japan – Hokuriku)

- Western Area Command (Tokyo): Responsible for the defense of the Kansai region and westward. Responsible for the rear of Taiwan and Korea.

-- 3rd Motorized Division (Japan – Kansai)

-- 4th Mechanized Division (Japan – Kyushu)

-- 8th Mechanized Division (Japan – Kyushu)

-- 15th Light Mobility Brigade (Japan – Okinawa)

-- 1st Marine Brigade (Japan – Okinawa)

-- Western Readiness Brigade (Japan – Chubu)

- 1st Unified Command (Tokyo): Generalizes the reserve units. In times of emergency, including disasters, it is also in charge of deploying troops to areas of Japan where they are stretched thin.

-- 1st Airborne Brigade (Japan – Kantō)

-- Amphibious Rapid Deployment Brigade (Japan – Kyushu)

-- 14th Light Mobility Brigade (Japan – Shikoku)

- Central Area Air Defense Command: Oversees the air defense of the Japanese mainland.

-- 2nd Air Wing (Hokkaidō)