059 - France's Response and Germany's Reaction

The German Reich emerged as a result of the political turmoil in France and the loss of initiative in Europe. Its economy was able to catch its breath by incorporating countries such as Austria, Czechoslovakia, and Hungary. Moreover, not only did Germany dismantle the central banks of various countries, but it also collected money for Germany, obtained the labor force it lacked, and gained new markets. As a result, German stock prices rose, and the economy boomed.

Hitler, who accomplished this feat without shedding a single drop of German blood, saw his authority greatly elevated. In his speech at the military parade in Berlin, Hitler even boasted of a Thousand-Year Reich.

Inspired by this military prowess, countries like Yugoslavia and Bulgaria began to pursue pro-German diplomacy, and Hitler's fame reached its zenith.

. . .

France

France, which deeply resented Germany's advancement, devoted all its efforts to domestic control. The suppression of anti-government demonstrations led by peace activists, accompanied by the "Denial of Peace for the Sake of Peace" (Red Purge), resulted in significant bloodshed within France. However, the French government pursued this course of action resolutely. Furthermore, the French government was determined to go even further by outlawing peace activists, including communists and national socialists.

In this situation, even some radical individuals among the peace activists rose up, wielding German-made weapons that had flowed into France through the Soviet Union. Some factions within the military also joined their cause. The peace activists declared the acquisition of rights and solidarity among the people, naming themselves the People's Front. They declared their armed uprising as the People's Front Revolution, aimed at overthrowing the ruling class of imperialist France and the Third Republic, which sought war. However, anticipating this situation, the French government cooperated with nationalist groups sharing similar views and undermined the conciliatory factions that had taken a pro-People's Front stance, rendering them politically powerless.

The peace activists became isolated within the political forces of France.

Subsequently, the government carried out relentless repression and armed suppression against the People's Front without any hesitation. The severity of this crackdown instilled fear of purges among the previously peace-oriented supporters of the peace activists. As a result, the internal turmoil in France swiftly moved toward its resolution.

. . .

Germany

Germany was alarmed by the bloody unity of public opinion within France. It was easy to imagine that the intoxicated French government, while unifying its own country, would also come after Germany. Therefore, Hitler ordered support for the French People's Front through the Soviet Union, but it held little significance in the face of the actions of the French government, which mobilized not only the Gendarmerie but also the military. As a result, Hitler instructed the SS to consider means to disrupt the French political system or create chaos within the country.

The SS suggested dealing with the turmoil in France by destabilizing its colonies, which were seen as France's sources of wealth. It was similar to the support given to the independence movements against Britain in the colonies. While the results of Germany's actions were not the sole cause, Britain, which faced demands for independence or increased autonomy from colonies around the world, found its diplomatic and political power significantly strained in its efforts to suppress the independence struggles. This was the aim of the reenactment. Particularly in French Indochina (Vietnam), where the flames of independence were smoldering, it was within Germany's sphere of influence and proximity to China, making it easier to provide support and yield quick results.