111 - The Teetering Netherlands

The tension in the Adriatic Sea, known as the Adriatic Crisis, which was somewhat resolved by Germany's apology to Italy, turned out to be the catalyst for new tensions. This was due to Germany (under Hitler) being in a dictatorial political regime where popularity equated to power. The defeat of Italy, which was considered inferior (referred to as Hetalia), had a significant political impact on Germany.

To overcome this situation, Hitler decided to demonstrate two things. Firstly, he aimed to boost military power. Large-scale military exercises and parades involving the army, navy, and air force were conducted. This included showcasing state-of-the-art heavy tanks, jet fighters, and battleships. Through extensive appeals to the public and explanations provided by military experts (the media), the narrative aimed to lead people to believe that Germany's superiority accidentally caused harm to Italy.

Germany also reached out to its friendly states (a few allied nations) such as the Soviet Union, making arrangements for the dispatch of troops (regiment-sized). The Soviet Union, desiring to showcase its military technological prowess to the world (non-G4 alliance countries) and to acquire foreign currency through weapon sales, agreed to Germany's proposal. The joint exercises (appeals) between Germany and the Soviet Union received positive evaluations from the citizens of both countries and neighboring states due to the announced plan alone. However, mere appearances were not enough to deceive.

Furthermore, Hitler aimed for a political victory, with the target being the Netherlands. Germany had long coveted the disproportionate wealth of the Netherlands, particularly the wealth generated by the Dutch East Indies. Now, aiming to restore Hitler's authority, annexing the Netherlands was sought as a political achievement. Due to Germany's schemes, a part of the population in the Netherlands, which had already harbored aspirations towards a United Greater European Reich (fascism), became a perfect target for Germany — it was not about the process (the road) but the objective (the prey).

. . .

The Netherlands

The Netherlands, a member of the League of Nations, and actively engaged in trade with Japan through the Dutch East Indies, was considered a pro-G4 nation (a vassal of the G4). However, the internal situation in the country was somewhat complex.

Politicians and the upper class were favorable towards Japan, as Japan provided financial contributions. The general laborers, on the other hand, were struggling just to make ends meet. However, among the educated middle class, there was growing resentment towards Japan. Their advanced education enabled them to understand that Japan's trade policies towards the Netherlands *1 resembled those of developed countries dealing with developing nations.

While the average Dutch person did not see any benefit in actively engaging with Japan (from Japan's perspective, in terms of trade advantages), they failed to fully comprehend Japan's 100-year technology gap. In this regard, the general populace of countries like the Soviet Union and Germany, with whom conflicts had arisen, understood the terrifying nature of Japan far better. They understood the significance of neighbors leaving for war and not returning.

Nevertheless, due to the physical and psychological distance, the Dutch regarded Japan as an advanced but ultimately Asian nation. Therefore, they found it unforgivable that an inferior Asian nation looked down upon a white advanced nation like the Netherlands. This was an expression of an indelible sense of discrimination.

Moreover, a tiny minority of individuals harbored loathing towards Japan due to their treatment in the Dutch East Indies. These were individuals who had received higher education and had been employed by Japanese companies in the Dutch East Indies. As local employees of Japanese companies, they felt aggrieved at being treated equally or even inferiorly to the local inhabitants (people of the Dutch East Indies). *2