062 - Their Sea/Our Sea - 2

The Eastern Expedition Fleet (East Express), protected by the Monsun Gruppe, departed Germany and consisted of a total of eight cargo ships. The ships were as young as possible and each was loaded with various items, including weapons, ammunition, and others. However, these eight vessels alone were not enough to transport all the supplies China had purchased. In particular, for the heavy Panzer IV tanks weighing nearly 60 tons, the number of cargo ships capable of carrying them, even when disassembled for weight reduction, was limited. Moreover, transporting fighter aircraft, which took up a lot of space, was not an easy task. It was estimated that at least three trips would be necessary considering the capacity of the eight ships. Germany planned to gain experience from this voyage and apply it to the next one.

For this reason, experienced civilian ship captains with extensive long-distance navigation experience were recruited as advisors to the fleet headquarters. Additionally, despite reducing the quantity of supplies, a large number of maintenance parts for each ship were prepared. As a land-oriented nation, Germany was well aware of its lack of experience in oceanic navigation. Therefore, meticulous preparations were made for the voyage.

. . .

United States

Due to Germany's delayed preparations, the United States' Task Force 21 had ample time for thorough training. In particular, conducting joint operations and training exercises with the French fleet was significant. Furthermore, they engaged in joint training exercises with the Japanese TF-391, which had made a port call in Britain, and the British Home Fleet, fostering goodwill and deepening cooperation.

They conducted rescue drills, navigation exercises, and even air defense training. During these exercises, Japan showcased its ship-launched anti-ship attack unit, the QA-1 (Ghost) attack drone, *1 which made its debut.

During the series of goodwill training exercises, the skillful presentation by the United States captured a photograph depicting the two battleships, Musashi and HMS Hood, along with TF 21's battleship Dunkerque, guarding the aircraft carrier USS Ranger as they sailed through the North Sea. This photograph was widely circulated by the media, causing a great stir worldwide. The caption accompanying the photograph in Britain read, "Guardians of the Maritime Order (Leviathan)."

Germany vociferously denounced it as an assertion of maritime dominance by G4, which disrupts international harmonious relations.

The Soviet Union intensified its efforts in battleship construction.

Amidst various ripples caused by these events, TF 21 continued its preparations for the voyage.

. . .

Germany

Germany felt a strong sense of crisis and pressure from the United States, which was broadcasting its progress and training to the world through the media. As a result, Germany decided to put the Monsun Gruppe's training aside and prioritize the loading of supplies onto the Eastern Expedition Fleet and immediately set sail, without holding formation ceremonies or departure ceremonies. Instead, the fleet's ships quietly left the harbor one by one, choosing separate routes under the cover of darkness.

In order to shake off the pursuing American forces, Germany planned to use the Monsun Gruppe as a decoy while allowing the fleet to navigate independently from the Baltic Sea to the North Sea. The planned rendezvous point was set to be the Azores Islands.

However, before the fleet could escape the North Sea, as the dawn broke, contact with the American naval aircraft began. The cruiser, destroyers, and the battleship were tracking their movements. Realizing that their movements had been detected, the commander of the Monsun Gruppe ordered all ships to regroup once they completed their deceptive routes. It was deemed that dispersing further would increase the risk of individual ships being targeted and destroyed. They regrouped near the Shetland Islands and boldly formed the fleet, commencing their southward journey. The voyage to reach China would begin with trials and tribulations from the very start.