120 - Winds in Central Asia - 2

China has abandoned the additional deployment of troops aimed at maintaining security in the Tibet region, which was requested by Japan. Instead, they have decided to dispatch a Special Police Task Unit consisting of 3.000 personnel for the purpose of security maintenance. This unit is selected from the originally planned Tibetan contingent, not just a mere change in signage.

China advertised it as a purely security maintenance force for peace, without any firearms or weapons, but the reality is that the Chinese military is facing shortages of weapons due to successive defeats and large-scale conscription. Furthermore, the Chinese military leadership did not want to allocate weapons to security maintenance in Tibet until the war with the United States was over.

There was some enthusiasm from China to respond to Japan's request. It was a significant disadvantage that despite being a security maintenance operation, the forces were unarmed, and even though they could carry batons and sticks to Tibet, they couldn't bring firearms. However, China wasn't completely unprepared. The Tibetan police force had a considerable stockpile of weapons, albeit outdated, and it was planned to use them under the pretext that the rioters (Tibetan independence movement) were armed. In a sense, it was diplomatic business as usual (a game of cat and mouse).

. . .

Britain

From Britain's perspective, Japan's diplomacy towards China was described as clumsy in one word. It would have been better if Japan could have pushed China a little more, and provoked it to go into an outburst of aggression. However, considering that Japan can also benefit from its leniency, there was no intention to correct that aspect. *1

Therefore, instructions were given to Hong Kong operatives (Chinese sleeper agents) to induce China's local security forces to erupt. Britain had already put considerable effort into smuggling large quantities of old weapons from India into Tibet and dispersing them. Additionally, volunteers (militia) armed with Japanese-made weapons, ML-157, *2 were also dispatched.

The operations by Hong Kong operatives involved contacting dissatisfied Chinese refugee groups within Tibetan territory and inciting them.

They argued that Tibet is Chinese territory and it's absurd for the indigenous people of Tibet to claim privileges just because they were there first. They pointed out that while they and their families have no homes and lack food, the Tibetan people, simply by virtue of being indigenous, have homes and plenty to eat. And so on and so forth. Such whispers, designed to awaken the conscience of listeners (trigger their sense of justice), resonated well with the ears of the Chinese people exhausted by refugee life.

They let their discontent smolder. They smoked it out for days, weeks even, taking their time to build up the groundwork. Then, finally, a gentle breeze is blown into the air.

Vigilante groups of Tibetans are attacking Chinese refugees.

Young women are being abducted and turned into sex slaves.

The fire has been lit.

. . .

Tibet

Chinese refugees who were incited to an armed uprising by Britain's trickery somehow managed to get their hands on guns and guandao that had been inexplicably left near the refugee camp, and they charged toward the Tibetan vigilante compound. Chinese police forces rushed in with riot batons, attempting to prevent a full-blown violent confrontation at all costs. However, the British took their time to guide them. Once the Chinese refugees erupted, persuaded by the police, there was no stopping them. On the contrary, the police were shouted at and accused of defiling the dignity of the Chinese people.