37 || The Letter

JACE

The morning's cold was biting, with a raw wind that seemed to cut through even the thickest layers. Despite the chill, my pace quickened as the police station came into view, the sight of it bringing a fresh wave of anxiety. Beside me, Noah, Sophia, and Kayden mirrored my urgency, each of us bundled against the wind but warmed by a spark of hope—fragile and flickering in the frosty air.

We had been summoned urgently by the police. An anonymous letter addressed to the department which had supposedly beenwritten by Arabella had been received, and Officer Daniels had called us in to discuss its contents. My mind raced with possibilities, hope wrestling with dread.

We entered the station, the warmth inside barely registering as we hurried to Daniels' office. The officer was already there, looking more grave than usual, the letter in question lying like a lone island on the wide expanse of his desk.

"Thank you for coming so quickly," Daniels greeted, his tone somber as he motioned for us to sit.

"What does it say?" Sophia asked without preamble, her eyes fixed on the piece of paper that held potentially crucial information.

Daniels pushed the letter towards us. It was a plain white envelope, the letter inside folded neatly. I reached out, my fingers hesitant as they made contact with the paper, feeling every fiber as if trying to absorb some clue about its sender through touch alone.

Carefully, I unfolded the letter and read aloud, my voice steady despite the turmoil inside:

"Dear Jace and others,

The first time I saw you I felt a range of emotions but one stood out most of all. Of all the things I thought I'd feel, I never thought I'd feel truly and utterly in love. Perhaps it was the excitement of being able to talk to someone who actually understood me, or maybe just someone to speak to full stop. Despite this, I feel like it was a brief stage of my life. Right now, I am on my way to somewhere where I can be better, do better. Although I know I'll miss you and Delilah and the gang, I feel it is a necessary step for me. When you look back at this, I don't want you to cry for what could have been. Enjoy what was. Relay this message to Noah, Kayden and Sophia as well, this applies to them too.

Happiness isn't something I believed in before I met you all. Even in my darkest moments, you all helped me find the light and positivity. Luck is a powerful thing and I might just have gotten lucky getting to know you all. Please don't let my departure bring you all down, know it's all for the best.

Another message for you Jace. Arguments are a healthy thing for a relationship are they not, helps them grow like I hope you will continue to do without me. Remember the good times. One day, I'll meet you in the meadow again. Not anytime soon I don't think.

Don't let me hold you all back from your true potential. Although you are my closest friends, I have to say goodbye.

Do not be sad about the situation, and perhaps I will see you all again one day.

Goodbye,

From Arabella."

As I looked up, the others were shaking their heads. They didn't believe a word of it. Neither did I. I'd heard her get taken. It replayed in my head every time it was quiet

"Jace, can you confirm that this is her handwriting?" The officer spoke up, his voice gentler than before.

"I-" I cleared my throat, my gut sinking further and further. "Yes, this is her handwriting."

"Then I'm sorry to have to tell you this but we have to drop the ongoing investigation. For all we know, she has truly left the county of her own free will therefore there is nothing we can do." The officer said as he shook his head.