21 || Closer and Closer

Jace

I wake up surrounded by warmth.

It's soft and warm, so I snuggle up to it.

I only open my eyes when I realise it's moving as well.

But it's not an it. It's Arabella.

Glancing at the clock, I realise that it's actually still early. It's only five in the morning and since yesterday was a Friday, we could sleep in a little while longer.

She opens her eyes, takes one look at the room and says , "Why do I always wake up in your room?"

I laugh a little at her exasperated expression and I turn on my  side so I can see her. She does the same and for what seems like eternity, we just stare at each other.

There's a comfortable silence between the two of us when something clicks in her head.

"What happened to Delilah?" She sounds panicked.

"She's probably put herself to sleep and if not, she'll be asleep soon enough." I respond coolly, my eyes never wandering from her face. From her eyes. From her nose. 

From her lips.

"You must be getting pissed you have to being me here when I constantly pass out." She says as she picks a piece of lint from the bedsheet.

"It's not problem Bella, honestly," I reassure her.

It's honestly not a big thing for me. I have manners, considering the only other places she could sleep if not my bed were in Delilah's bed which was too small for her, or the couch. I'm not the type of guy to put an unconscious girl on a couch.

"I just-," she begins before cutting off. She then gets up from the bed and starts to pace the room, keeping her eyes cast downwards towards the floor, unable to meet my gaze.

Slowly, I rise as well, making my way over

"What?" I coax softly.

"I just feel like I'm taking advantage of you. First you save me at that party, then from Aaron's gang at the theatre. For some reason I always have panic attacks around you-"

"Bella," I say softly.

"-I'm not saying they're from you but whenever it happens, you're always there helping me and I just don't think I deserve that and you, god, you deserve better. Having some idiot intrude on your life and I-"

"Arabella," I say with a bit more force. 

"I just...I can't thank you enough for your hospitality, Jace. I know I'm a complete stranger, and you've opened your home to me, and I'm so grateful, but I feel like I'm imposing, and I don't want to be a burden, and—"

I reach out and hook my index finger under her chin and tilt her head up so she has to look at me, my fingers on my other hand gently brush against her cheek, effectively silencing her. I can see that the touch sent a shiver down her spine, and I found myself mesmerised by the intensity of her gaze.

"Arabella," I murmur, my voice soft and soothing. "You're not a burden. I want you here."

She searchers my  face, seeking any hint of hesitation or regret, but found only genuine concern and warmth. Slowly, the tension began to melt from her shoulders, and she allowed herself to relax into my touch.

My thumb traced the delicate curve of her cheekbone, and I felt Arabella's  breath catch in her throat. The air between us seemed to crackle with anticipation.

"I'm sorry," Arabella whispers , her gaze clearly dropping to my lips. "I just...I've never felt so at home anywhere else. And I can't help but wonder why you're being so kind to me."

My fingers slid from her cheek to tuck a stray lock of hair behind her ear, I keep my touch feather-light.